90 SI hatch, What to swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Grimm_Reaper38

Ok what I got a few months back was a really clean 90 SI hatchback for daily driver duties.... However Im lookin to do a swap in the next few months and wanna know what I should be lookin to get. Not lookin for anything crazy fast just maybe 15s, not lookin to break into the 12s or anything. Lookin to spend around 1g or so on the swap. What should I go for? Heard ALOT about ZC from people and had a friend offer to do a Z6 swap as well, also have heard alot about LS swaps being good too. What is gonna give me the most power for about 1g or so, also get fairly decent gas mileage too... not lookin for 40 mpg or anything. Also Im in SoCal so if anyone knows local guys or has something local for sale I would be interested....

thanks

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Dec 23 2004, 04:41 AM
You could find a B18A1, not too bad for the price.
[post=436324]Quoted post[/post]​

i have a b18a1 i'm trying to get rid of now b/c i realized it's gonna cost as much as a b16 or gsr to swap. b block switch should drop you at least a grand, minus the engine and tranny into a 91.

i say dohc zc is the easiest. as long as you have an si shell or just mpfi it makes it quite easy. little to no wiring changes, no mount or shift linkage/axle changes. and d block trannies are a dime a dozen so just kill them.

the sohc vtec kinda suck balls and you need to tune the shit out of them to make power. my buddy has a 91 hatch with a zc i/h/e runs low 16 high 15 on reg tires. he got bf goodrich drag radials and now he's flyin.

dohc zc all the way. no more than $700 on the motor, buy it local....then spend the rest on bolt ons and you'll be happy. when you have the loot, turbo it.

wow just 1k... that really cutting your self short....save $$$$ try to get an ls or the zc motor/tranny/axels everything for the swap (shit happens swap wise) you will always need money for the unexpected....also its a daily driver i would recomend giving the motor a good tune up (mild rebuild) water pump. belts, oil pump anything that would be a hassle (labor) to do after the swap is finished
finally SEARCH here, google, try to get your self important info on your own terms (you'll learn alot) good luck
ohh yeah buy tools

Yes, if you go with a DOHC ZC don't fuck around and use the uneven length axles from the SOHC, get the two peice design they are supposed to have.

Ok I was DEFINATELY gonna go the replacing the water pump, belts and other goodies if it I did it to ANY motor. I am leaning ZC but I thought i could use ALOT of the stock SI parts like the tranny/clutch/axels? am I wrong here or should I buy a ZC tranny/axels? tried searching for ZC but it keeps tellin me I need 4 characters, any way around this? Ok let me rephrase my question, Would like to stay AROUND 1g or so. Not gonna cut it off at that but would like to keep costs fairly low on this thing. Also been going through this site http://www.fourthgenhatch.com/zc.html is this guys writeup pretty accurate for a ZC?

go for the dohc zc and replace everything good luck

why swap? just do a junkyard turbo setup and easily hit 15's, more likely 14s and lower with good tuning.

I do not know a whole lot about zc engines but from my experience, i can tell u that my stock b18a1 with no rebuild(just waterpump, and timing belt, i was running in the low 15s with my car, yes my hatch is gutted but im not saying you will see 15.1 like i was but mid 15s are really nice in a daily driver. (by the way my gutted caged hatchback is my daily driver to work skool and all....)

I am goin to have to go against what everyone else is sugesting, you can find engine, tranny, ecu, harness, axles, and linkage for under 800, in really good condition. just keep your eyes open
mounts dont usually come with the swaps, i sugest poly mounts i love them in my car, i like the rigitity....

well that is my 2 cents, good luck with your swap....

um....he said $1000 max, I don't know where the hell you would find a b16, mounts, axles, tranny, everything for $1000 (hmotors sells b16's for $1500 without Shipping, LSD, Linkage or Mounts). If you do, let me know, I spent 3 grand on my b16 swap. Its great, but its not cheap either.

edit - Oh yeah, my suggestion is the DOHC ZC swap. No vtec, but you have the added tunability of DOHC so you can more easily go turbo later. SOHC turbo is a waste.

Originally posted by ktanaka@Dec 29 2004, 12:59 AM
SOHC turbo is a waste.
[post=438545]Quoted post[/post]​

in what way is the sohc turbo a waste?? just because the zc has 2 cams doesnt make it a better motor. theres hardly any aftermarket support for it like there is the single cam. if it was so much better, wouldnt it be the other way around?

Ok, Yes its possible to have a good SOHC turbo setup, but it has far less tunability than a DOHC. The simple fact is, that unless you are grinding your own cams, or buying expensive turbo desinged cams you can't really make an SOHC an efficient, reiable setup.

If he plans on going turbo ever, the DOHC will be more reliable, be easier to tune, and will make more power. Independant control over intake and exhaust is a HUGE help with forced induction.

Back