90 si transmission problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

icanbrkurhrt

okay guys i have a 90 crx si. recently it started making a weird grinding sound while im driving. it doesnt grind when i change into any of the gears. but as soon as i step on the gas it starts making that sound. its off and on. usually you can hear it more when im just cruising it, but usually when i WOT you cant hear it at all. car has 226,000 miles on it. but i've never had any problems before. it was just out of know where. does anybody think they know what it could be??

can you just hear the grind, or feel it? is it more of a rattle than a grind? if rattle, and you can't feel it in the trans but instead it feels like something under your seat is percolating, i'm thinking broken catalyst in yer converter.

can you just hear the grind, or feel it? is it more of a rattle than a grind? if rattle, and you can't feel it in the trans but instead it feels like something under your seat is percolating, i'm thinking broken catalyst in yer converter.
its definitely not the cat
i know for sure its the trani but im not sure exactly what on the trani is messed up.

Sounds like it might be a bad bearing inside the transmission. If that does happen to be the case there isn't much you can do except replacing it when it breaks. Make sure your trans fluid is full and top it off if not, but at this point I don't think there's much you can do if it's a grinding noise inside the transmission. Can you feel it in the shifter when it starts making the noise? If so I'm almost sure that is what the problem is...

Sounds like it might be a bad bearing inside the transmission. If that does happen to be the case there isn't much you can do except replacing it when it breaks. Make sure your trans fluid is full and top it off if not, but at this point I don't think there's much you can do if it's a grinding noise inside the transmission. Can you feel it in the shifter when it starts making the noise? If so I'm almost sure that is what the problem is...
yeah you can feel it in the shifter when it rattles

In that case I'd have to say I'm almost certain it's a failing bearing inside the transmission. It may last for awhile like it is, but you might want to start looking for a new trans. It's going to cost more to tear it down & rebuild than replace it with a used one.

yeah i've been looking around and used trans arent very expensive.
just a couple hundred bucks.

Had the problem a while ago and its the same thing.....Transmission is gonna go bye bye very very soon....change while you have the chance....LIKE NOW! i'd give you about 1 week, 2 weeks MAX its gonna blow and your linkage will be hanging and fluid will be ever where.....i had the same problem but i took in notice and drove my popp's car for a while and parked my car in the backyard and found a DX tranny which is now making this HMMMM.....Should of just bought another SI tranny....my own down fault....GOODLUCK

If you have the same problem as close to mines then here is my thread and read it.....^_^

https://hondaswap.com/general-tech-maintenance/noise-sound-while-gears-94065/

I think it will probably last longer than that, but in the end you'll probably have to replace the transmission. Luckily for you they are cheap like you mentioned.. a couple hundred bucks isn't so bad considering what happened.

well i was thinking about buying this rex and driving it 1900+ miles back home, u think it'd hold out for that? there are a few mountain ranges between cali and mn.

Back