91 civic d16z6 cold idle problems??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

91efvtec

you know when u start your car in the cold and it idles at bout 1500 for a while...how can you make that drop right off the bat so its not racing when its cold

i always let my shit warm up, its just the smart thing to do. what im sayin though is, how can i get it to kick down the rpm once it first starts up on those cold mornings ya know. i just want it to fire up and idle at bout 1000 rpm, not fire up and sit at 1500 to 2000 rpm for bout 5 mins. i understand it has a IACV and all that, i just need to know how to safely get it to were i want it.

I warm up my cars too, wait for the idle to drop.

One dude with a 87 porsche told me that, porsches you don't warm up it said so in owners manual. That aint no Honda I thought that was absurd and warm up at least for a minute and don't rev higher than 3k until fully warmed up.

On E46 M3 cold start and drive there are red things on the tach that tells you its not safe to rev higher than that red thing is. Top Gear Video.

Author in "drive it forever" (book) mentioned that its bad practice to warm up the car because the longer idling kills your engine in the long run. :huh:

That all was a bit off topic. My personal opinion, high fast idle is there for a reason just don't rev really high for at least a minute and warm up for a bit.

Last edited:
Man you're a baller, why work on Honda's? Especially when Active Autowerks makes something like 600 hp Bmrs on a daily basis.

Yeah thats a nice car for sure. M5 is a serious performer.

If I had bucks I would get a Z06 Corvette. Why? Because other than this board, generally people who drive modded hondas are not enthusiast but they drive them because its cool. Only on Honda Swap do I get a sense of a community other than that in outside world out there its nothing but hate.

I mean honda drivers generated the term "rice". We as honda drivers diss each other and clown on each other based on the mods someone has. And honda always has an excuse for being slow (ie reliability, gas milage etc.).

To make a honda really fast under 12 sec 1/4 there are some serious mods need to be done. And passing smog is a problem.

I got into imports in 99. Honda were on top. Broke 10sec barrier. Steph got something 9.89 1/4 it was a big deal. Ever sense then I had everything from integras, crxs and civics and also an acura legend.

Hollywood always makes the world think whats cool and not cool. Fast and the Furious was an OK movie not as bad as people made it out to be. But I mean get real, I came back from San Diego once after watching the movie for the first time and was chilling with people one dude told me he seen the movie 10 times. I mean not trying to diss but 10 times you have got to be kidding me. People just then realized street racing and everybody and their cousin had an eclipse.

Now everybody drifts. Recently I saw 2nd and 3rd Fast and Furious. Because its about drifting. Recently went to a big name shop to check few things and all they have are 240sx, evos etc. And everyone thinks Hondas are lame.

I never until resently tore into a honda motor. Before it was shops and such for aftermarket.

My friends are all out of the "scene" as they say. WHAT SCENE ? you mean it was a cool thing to do because everyone was doing it. Now thats LAME. Or it was a trend? thats lame also.

Now whenever I need parts or such. DSM culture were only one that were cool and respectable. They are old dudes who came from muscle car era and know exactly what modding a car is all about.

Thanks for everyone for reading this post. I just had to mention this. Only on this board you hear people hooking up CVCC civics. Now thats cool!

Bro, I jacked this thread and got off topic about your concern. My bad totally.

Listen thou I know what you mean, in the morning you start the car and it sounds bad because of high idle and all. Its all loud and makes terrible noise like somethings up. It just sound bad with high RPMs.

OK

First, clean your "idle controll valve" on intake mani for start see if that helps.

here is a link....

Honda Acura Forum - Tech Performance Forums : Civic, Integra, Accord - DIY cleaning your IACV

Then, clean your "fast idle" under throttle body

here is a link

Honda-Tech.com: Honda CRX / EF Civic: How to fix a FITV its as easy as 1, 2, 3....

Get some SeaFoam too, with the car running inject it in throttle body (take off your intake whatever) with a syringe while pulling on the throttle cable. Turn car off. Chill for 10 min. Then turn it on. There will be MAD smoke, those are carbon deposits.

Run the car for a few days ( You will notice considerable difference in performance, car will feel alot smoother)

If after those things you still don't like your cold start fast idle, read Blanco's post and take it seriously for what the dude has to say. (Post #3)

Last edited:
I regret for drinking too much and not getting ARP studs while changing civic's head gasket. Not only that, I got fired from my job few weeks ago for getting in a fight. This dude was threatening to beat me up after work, I was like oh yeah, BAM! That was a good warehouse job too. No one said that life is easy.

Back