91 civic hatch b18c5 (itr) swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stumpyky

Just picked up a 91 civic hatch for 500 bucks. I want to put the b18c5 in, i know i need the mounts, linkage and some axels that can handle the power. But, if I buy a complete engine swap with ecu, harness, tranny, dist., a\c, etc. will i still have some wiring problems or can I just use all the wiring from the type r and go? Also I know the h22 into the civic and you lose your a/c. Anyone know if i will have to sacrifice ac with the b18c5? New to hondas, but not to cars. Any help greatly appreciated.

Well you gonna need a bit more stuff. this is gonna be expensive. First im assuming you're getting the trans with it so its a hydro. You will need the cable to hydro conversion kit from hasport. About the wiring. You will still need to customize it since your car never came with v-tec. Im not too good at explaining it but i do know that you will have to convert it from non obd to obd2 then get that obd2 to obd1 jumper harness. I'd sell that type r ecu and get the p30 or p28 chipped. About the a/c. You will need to buy the bracket from hasport also. www.hasport.com :) Someone else fill in the rest about the wiring.

Selling my mercedes 190d to play with the honda, plus i have about 5000 in the savings so the $$$'s, ok i enjoy the work, and why not the c5 and boost it? I was thinking a vortech super with the aftercooler so i get everyday driving boost. I have heard much talk of the jacksons but not much about the vortech. I had a vortech on a 5.0 in my 68 cougar and it was a dream so I assumed the same quality would go into their import line as well. The wiring shouldn't be too touch for me i have my certification for electrical and front end/suspension. Just more than anything needed to know if it had to be done even with all the electronics from the itr coming with the swap, what would getting the p30 or p28chipped ecu do for me? Thanks again for the help, now that i know what needs to happen, i can start making it happen

Originally posted by stumpyky@Oct 30 2003, 02:13 PM
Selling my mercedes 190d to play with the honda, plus i have about 5000 in the savings so the $$$'s, ok i enjoy the work, and why not the c5 and boost it? I was thinking a vortech super with the aftercooler so i get everyday driving boost. I have heard much talk of the jacksons but not much about the vortech. I had a vortech on a 5.0 in my 68 cougar and it was a dream so I assumed the same quality would go into their import line as well. The wiring shouldn't be too touch for me i have my certification for electrical and front end/suspension. Just more than anything needed to know if it had to be done even with all the electronics from the itr coming with the swap, what would getting the p30 or p28chipped ecu do for me? Thanks again for the help, now that i know what needs to happen, i can start making it happen

Listen. I know the c5 is a great motor but yeh hits a bit expensive. Get a gsr motor. Much cheaper and u have extra money to modify it enough to have more power than the c5 motor. Just a suggestion. :)

I don't think you can get more power out of a GSR engine for less than the ITR engine. You certainly can't do it aand buy the LSD that comes in the ITR engine.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Oct 30 2003, 09:34 PM
I don't think you can get more power out of a GSR engine for less than the ITR engine. You certainly can't do it aand buy the LSD that comes in the ITR engine.

Its almost the same thing. Type r has more power cause of cams, mild p&p head, and higher compression. If he gets gsr motor say for like 3300 and the type r is wahat usually? 4800 right? Well thats 1500 extra money and he can go with stage 2 skunk cams along with there valvetrain. He can also throw in ctr pistons for 300. That would put more hp than the itr.

But he is still missing the crucial part. The LSD. Without that all it will take is a couple of turns and the same car with the ITR swap will be faster.

Originally posted by mellowboy@Oct 31 2003, 02:02 PM
You do know that they sell gsr with lsd right? ;)

Yes, you won't find one for $3300.

If you ever actually get you engine from them. I have not heard from a single satisfied customer. Do a google search and tell me if you would still buy from them.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Nov 1 2003, 12:14 AM
If you ever actually get you engine from them. I have not heard from a single satisfied customer. Do a google search and tell me if you would still buy from them.

Either way thats how much they usually cost. Maybe 200 more . Depends where you get it from. Still cheaper than c5 no matter how much you tryin to prove me wrong.

you all just need better jdm engine prices, 4000 for the itr with everything included. Check out http://www.japandomesticmotor.com/honda.asp By far the best prices I have found so far. I just figured that since I have the $$ I might as well go ahead with the itr to save myself some work on the engine internals leaving me with just easy bolt on goodies and the supercharger. Not gonna be a full on race car, so after that i am more than happy with the engine from there. Basically the extra 1200 bucks is worth not tearing down the engine and rebuilding before it goes in the car.

its going to be a daily driver and the supercharger gives much better all around boost and much less overall wear on the engine. i want the boost in all the gears at all rpm's since it will be driven daily and subject to normal streets and stoplights. Plus, wheras jackson is using the consumer for the test runs and working out the bugs on their supercharger (due to size of the company and the costs and time of testing im sure). A company like vortech tends to do quite a bit of product testing on their own cars or demos before releasing the product to us and i'm sure ill be happy with the quality of the charger and the 100+ hp gain when added with the matching aftercooler. Everyone seems to tell me to go with a different engine, but the general reasons I'm getting are money related more than anything. So, since I have the $4000 to spend on the itr engine, I am going to go ahead with the b18c5 swap into the old civic. You guys and this website have been awesome. I am going to go yank the old engine and maybe try n e-bay it today. I'll make sure and take lots of pictures and keep everyone informed on how the swap is going. I'm sure I'll be posting a few more once i get the swap started. If anyone knows any good honda people in Louisville Ky, I'd love to know em.
Thanks Again,
Christopher Fisher

Back