91 civic hatch questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

panterica

I just recently bought a 91 civic hatch with a b15b1 5 speed, the motors really weak kinda on its last leg, burns oil bad, and im pretty sure its about to drop a valve. So i was wandering what kind of swaps i could do fairly easily for this car. I know cars well but dont know alot about hondas, as far as technical junk. Just wanted to get some ideas for what would be most cost efficient as well as adding some power, without having to switch over my obd system or my transmission, if even possible. I know i will have to do the mpfi swap for sure unless i just put another d15 back in it and i dont wanna do that. Just would like to know what my options are and what all i would have to do for some different swaps.

as you already know, any MPFI swap is going to require you to do the DPFI to MPFI wiring conversion

if you want to stay OBD0 and do the least amount of work, you need to stay with a D-series engine - OBDO D-series engines that will bolt right in using your transmission, mounts, axles, etc. are:

88-91 CRX/Civic Si D16A6 which is about 108hp

88-91 JDM SOHC ZC which is advertised as about 118hp

88-91 JDM DOHC ZC which is advertised as about 130hp

the best bang for the buck is the 88-91 DOHC ZC

Where would be the best place to pick up a jdm dohc for it, and about how much am I looking at for that motor, does it have to have its computer as well or just a mpfi computer

Depends where you are at. I live in fort worth and there is a JDM engine sales place in Dallas (bout an hour away) and you can get a JDM B20B with engine harness (usually complete if you ask) for $450 and he will give you a 30 day warranty. You can even get a JDM 300ZX (non turbo model) complete engine for about 800 these engines are complete from intake to oil pan and include manifolds and the throttle body and only have between 40-60k miles on them.

My buddy and I purchased our B20B's from them and were very happy with our purchases.

Where would be the best place to pick up a jdm dohc for it, and about how much am I looking at for that motor, does it have to have its computer as well or just a mpfi computer
the JDM DOHC ZC is available from a lot of different suppliers - they usually run around $700 plus shipping - you would need a different ECU (computer) - the factory ECU for the 88-91 DOHC ZC is the PM7, however, the PG7 from USDM 88-89 Integra will work just about as well - could also use the PM6 from 88-91 CRX/Civic Si model

the good thing about the DOHC ZC is that all you need is the engine and ECU - nothing else to buy and it only weighs 13 lbs more than the SOHC D16A6 - any kind of B-series swap will probably end up costing you twice as much since you would need a different transmission, intermediate shaft, axles, engine mounts, shift linkage and exhaust work - B series engine/trans/intermediate shaft weighs about 100 lbs more than the SOHC

i have a full dohc zc swap, everything you need to drop in your ef that i can sell you....i got it from hmotors last year and maybe have put about 5 thousand miles on it, still have the papers for it.....i got a b16 im going to put in and boost so i am selling this whole setup....im looking to get 700 for everything, which includes, motor, si trans, header, ecu, axles! lmk if you wanna work something out....motor is still in the car and runs perfect and does NOT burn oil nor leak it.....
IMG00058-20100507-1344.jpg

Yea I would definatly be interested in that, where are you at I'm in tennessee, and it would be a week or so before I had the cash I'm waiting someone to pay me back, but I would really like to take you up on the offer just let me know where ye at

i have a full dohc zc swap, everything you need to drop in your ef that i can sell you....i got it from hmotors last year and maybe have put about 5 thousand miles on it, still have the papers for it.....i got a b16 im going to put in and boost so i am selling this whole setup....im looking to get 700 for everything, which includes, motor, si trans, header, ecu, axles! lmk if you wanna work something out....motor is still in the car and runs perfect and does NOT burn oil nor leak it.....

Schweit deal!! :thumbsup:

im actually in ohio.....and thats fine man because im actually not pulling it til i get back from IA...which is in nashville! too bad i didnt have enough time to get some shit together to throw this b16 in cuz then i would bring it with

alright man, it will be pulled in two weeks when we get back from IA...if your gonna be there i can give you my cell and you can come check it out and hear it run and what not if you want

i did the zc swap in my 90 si ..... easy as cake to do......... had fun driving it to............had ebay headers cat and exhaust........ for the price dude selling his stuff is seriously not bad....

I live in ohio and also have a JDM DOHC ZC for sale. If for any reason the above doesn't work out feel free to shoot me a pm.

i defiantly want it but idk whats going on with what my brother who owes me money is doing as far as paying me back so who knows when ill be able to buy this swap, but if you still have it in the near future ill take it off your hands for sure

hell, i might be interested in this if it doesnt work out with panterica.

Back