91 Civic Hatchback

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Zero2sixtyin3

89 EF Hatch D15B2 w/ 5spd
I am going to be doing a B16A swap into my 91 Civic Hatchback. I will be recieving the engine, 5spd tranny, ecu, intermediate shaft, all new motor mounts, new shift linkage, and a pair of new driveshafts. everything will be purchased at the same time.

Is there going to be anything else I will need for the swap?

Would anyone have any idea how much this swap would cost on average to have installed or is it easy to do it myself given all the tools, an engine hoist and a lift? I have some experience but never anything this extensive mind you.

What parts if any can swap directly over form a stock D15?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

And one more question, Is $2095 a good price for everything listed with $434 for shipping?

Last edited:
Shipping could be cheaper.

You'll need a conversion harness to use a P28 ECU, or just rewire everything by hand.

If the car is a STD, you'll need DX or Si knuckles/hubs.

If it's a D15B2 or B1, maybe just the evap canister.

That's a decent price, but I've seen shipping go for less(depends on area though).

so basically I need to get a jdm wiring harness from an SiR?

as far as I know its a dx Ill have to check.

and as for shipping, the company is located on the east coast and I live on the westcoast so its not too bad. Im looking and finding other similar kits but the come with used shift linkages, and mounts but new drive shafts and thats $2100 and the harness is included.

but Ive also found a place which includes
JDM Complete Engine
JDM ECU - PR3 Computer
JDM Clutch & Manual Transmission (5 speed)
Brand NEW pair of Yonaka Driveshafts (axles)
Brand NEW Yonaka JDM 4-1 ITR Header mild black steel, stainless +$50
Brand NEW Bolt-in Yonaka Motor mounts designed for 1988 to 1991 Honda Civic or CRX
and an LSD for +$300

for $1800
so basically $2150 not including shipping

^ thats a pretty nice deal.

You will just need to wire it from DPFI to MPFI, and then it's plug and play(assuming you use an obd-0 ecu)

or should I go with the other kit that has the wiring harness but used shift linkage, mounts, and driveshafts and just buy new of the three used?

You use your harness(converted to MPFI), and you'll have to buy conversion mounts/linkage/and DA axles anyway, so why waste the money on parts your going to have to replace?!

I'd go for a A/C bracket to keep the old a/c unit just for those hot summer days. I don't know where you are at. But you might want to keep that a/c unit. But its up to you. I kept mine just cuz Houston summers are hella hot.

well right now I live in Washington state but Im going to be heading down to Cali for about a year and a half. does the engine not include A/C?

Ive also been trying to decide if it would be better to have the engine swap done up here or down there. here theres only one place in all of washington that has experience in honda swaps. and thats Axiom motorsports. but Im sure I could find more places down there. not sure what would be cheaper though due to the higher cost of living, not only that but I need my car for school and I dont know how long the swap would take down there? anyone have any advice on that?

and also what would be easier and/or cheaper getting the SiR harness or converting mine?

thanks for the help so far everyone. appreciate it.

It's cheaper to just convert your harness. That's a good deal btw, I thought it was just a "used" swap.

Going down to California will probably get you cheaper prices due to competition, but be careful who you pick.

Back