91 civic lx rear main seal

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jasontyrone

ok i looked around and could not find a diy thread for the rear main seal. it all started because i was doing a clutch change and ive been told that i might as well replace the rear seal so i got the seal and am going to replace it but ive never done one before. it looks like i just remove a plate then somehow the seal pops out in then pop in the new one and reinstall the plate. but questions are any special tools to remove seal? should i drain the oil before i remove the plate etc etc any help or a dyi link would be great thanks

nothing special, just remove the plate, use a rubber mallet to remove the seal, use the mallet (small taps) again to put the seal on (circular motion) and use a bit of oil (tiny bit) on the new seal, slip it over the crank, bolt back up, and you're done.

to remove and to install???

how do you use a mallet to remove the seal i can understand how to use it to put the new one in that makes sence but to remove im having a hard time figureing that one out. thanks for your quick responce though going to try to do this tonight at midnight PST so any help is appericeated.

i havent done this in about 8 years. But i believe you have to loosen the oil pan but you dont have to take it all the way off. I think you can then get the plate off where the seal is and then you take out the old seal put in a new one and then put the plate back in and then bolt your oil pan back up(making sure to retorque the oil pan starting on the bolt in the middle of the pan and tighten down using the criss cross pattern). and then continue by bolting your flywheel and the clutch package and then the rest.

i think the plate has two studs that go through the oil pan. so you'll have to take those nuts completely off but loosen the rest of the oil pan bolts just enought to get the plate out.

I'm going on memory here so dont get mad if somethings are a lil bit off.

Last edited:
Back