91 Civic Si D16A6 head replacement - D15xx?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dual-500

VIP
Recently replaced head on D16A6 in a 91 Civic Si. Can't get timing right. Did some research on this site and it appears it probably has a D15XX cam in it and I'm not sure of the head. Casting number is PM3-11. Reading another thread on this topic, it was stated that the stock A6 cam in the D16A6 motor is retarded reference the keyway by 4.75 degrees compared to the D15 cams.

Can I see the cam markings by simply removing the valve cover? I'd like to know exactly what's in it. What about the PM3-11 head?

This saga started when I initially cranked it up after the head change - dist is full retard against the stop and it's still ~4-5 degrees advanced according to my timing light. The same timing light and cam sprocket as well as distro are being used.

Can't get it past emissions testing, fails NOx in the low speed part. Also, have a adjustable timing sprocket for it - need 4mm key for it - ordered today.

I'm thinking put the adjustable sprocket on it and dial it in to get passed on emissions as sticker expired last month. Then find an A6 cam for it.

BTW - I changed injectors, temp sensors, thermostat, water pump, belts, hoses, head bolts, & total exhaust system when doing head work.

Last edited:
non-VTEC D15Bs have the same head casting as D16A6s. As far as the cam, I've never heard of any markings on them to identify them so having the lobes measured and compared with the manual would probably be your best bet.

How could it be that the camshaft would not have any part number or configuration numbers on it? Mind blowing. ;)

Oh and thanks for the reply bro. I was hoping that to be the case and suspected as such. And, if I changing the cam, it ain't no big thang.

You'd be surprised at what Honda does. There was a whole confusion about D16Z6 vs. JDM D15B VTEC cams; and the serials on them were "mixed" so you couldn't use that to decipher if there was a difference without measuring. Same goes for Honda's D-series transmission; 88-91=PL3, 92-95=S20, 96-00=S40. You wouldn't know if it was DX, Si, EX, etc.

As far as the head casting, this post from HT shows how the codes are just all over the place, though I found in a thread on HT where someone's D16A6 had a PM3-11 head casting code:
D15B1
1990 Std D15B1 4sp------PM9-5
1991 Std D15B1 4sp------PM9-3

D15B2
90 LX D15B2 5sp--------------PM3-9 (9/0) stamped rs of code
91 DX D15b2 5sp---------------PM8-12
93 EG4(EDM) D15B2 5sp-------PM3-8 (9/4) stamp

D15B7
94 DX D15B7 5sp-------PMS-1
95 DX D15b7 5sp-------PM9-5

D15B (JDM)
92 VTi D15B Auto--- -- P08-1 (9/1)<-- RS of Code

D15Z1
92 VX D15Z1 5sp------P07-1

D16A6
88 RT D16A6 Auto------PM3-7
90 Si 5spd---------------PM3-1
90 Si D16A6 5sp--------PM3-4

You got any idea on the cam lift for the D16A6 cam - the A6? I can measure that with a dial indicator pretty easily.

Now I can see how the rebuild shop could have problems keeping track of these - especially since they are interchangeable within the head castings.

I just checked the manual, and it says the D15B2 and the A6 have the same lobe height, so duration and/or lobe separation must be different.

According to the Helms manual; 36.603(IN), 36.747(EX)...I'll see if I can find more info.

That's what I saw on another thread - maybe on a different site HT possibly. A guy with a D15 motor wanting to put a D16 cam in it.

I appreciate any info you can get. I have the sprocket to time it - but, if it's still a performance loss then I will get the right cam for it. Have a header and 2.5" exhaust - all stainless on it so I ain't goin for a limp cam.

Don't want a race cam - just what it's supposed to have in it.

Last edited:
Found a D16A6 cam for $50 shipped to my house. I'll install when it gets here. Meanwhile, will probably put adjustable pulley on it this weekend when the 4mm key stock arrives and get it past emissions.

Thanks for the assist dude!!!! I'll post results for anyone interested.

Back