91 Civic Si Needs A Motor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

madfarmer

Hopefully someone can help, I am planning to take delivery on a sweet 91 civic si hatchback, the original motor had over 200,000 miles on it and died. Id like to put a new motor in, but would also like to step up in size to have a better foundation,for simple bolt ons(header,throttle body, after cat exhaust, etc. with internal mods planned for down the road).My question is this, can any of the following three motors be installed without much modification.the first is a JDM B16A1 that comes complete with engine, ecu, clutch, and, tranny. The second is a 1st gen. ZC, motor only, and last but not least a JDM B18B motor only (from a 94 and up Integra LS, the long block). With the last two motors are they compatible with my stock si 5 speed or that need to go as well, thanks in advance for any help with this. :)

b-seires won't bolt on to your d-series tranny. the ZC will.
basically, it all comes down to budget. the ZC can be had for about 500 bucks, or less.... but parts are hard to find for it.
the zc wont require a mount kit, but the two b-series will.

i'd go with the b16 SiR, tried and true swap.

oh, and next time, post in the right place. your car is a 88-91 :)

Thanks for the reply it really narrowed it down,but I am still wondering,if I go with the B16, will I need to replace my ecu axles or anything,obviously my tranny will have to go.Also Ive heard that if I get a JDM motor everything is on the wrong side due to it being a right hand drive ,do I just need to buy a USDM motor.Thanks again for your help.And yes next time I'll post properly.

if you get a JDM B16A complete swap, you should get engine, transmission, ECU, wiring harness, stock mounts (which won't work) and axles - you will also need a mount kit and shift linkage - the thing that is backwards is the engine wiring harness - use your Si harness and add the necessary wires for VTEC, etc. - rob connectors from JDM harness

why not get a D16z6?? its a direct bolt in affair not to mention its cheap and aftermarket parts for that engine are plenty. try that :)

Thanks for all the replies,but after talking with a few shops around my house,I realized that no one(at least to my knowledge)is familiar enough with the swap to do it for a reasonable price so I started relooking for something else.After about three days of looking I found 94 civic with the b16 swap :D for about two grand more than the original 91. I plan to take delivery monday and will keep you posted,Im sure something else will come up that Im not sure about, but thanks for all the replies it really helps when someone else has already been there done that.

Back