91 Civic Swap Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

206civic

Hi, will a zc motor swap directly into a 91 civic lx sedan? Can I use my original transmition and ecu? Is there anything else that I would need too? Thanks

You can't use the LX ECU, because it's an SOHC ECU. You can, however, use the LX tranny--in fact, the LX sedan transmission is geared a little shorter than the DX hatch tranny.

Search the net for the swap, there are many many sites that detail this swap fully.

yeah i agree use the lx tranny that way you can use your stock axels, you should use a ZC ecu or if not a civic si, ex, or 89 integra ecu will work well. I am not sure if the LX is MPFI or not, but if it is DPFI then you will need to do an MPFI swap.

... doesnt an LX use a d15? so its dpi, so u gotta convert it to mpfi for it to work, and also the d15 is a shitty tranny, u want the Si tranny. i might be wrong, consult the engine list.

It is not a shitty tranny. If you read upward, I said that the LX transmission is geared shorter (final drive, to be more specific) than the DX hatch transmission. Read before you blurt.

dude, the thing is for the price of getting an Si tranny. what 200 bucks? its well worth it compared to a d15 tranny.

Guys- get your information straight first before blabbing all over the place. :angry:

You can't use the original ECU because it's set up for two injectors, not four. It doesn't matter that the original engine was SOHC and the new one is DOHC (if that's the ZC he chose)- the ECU doesn't control the cams.

The sedan transmission (DX and LX) are the exact same as the Si transmission except for the final drive. The sedans have a 4.058 final drive while the Si has a 4.250 FD. Gears 1 through 5 are the same. You can read that information in your Helms. The 1.5L engines in the 4th generation Civics came with 3 or 4 different transmissions, so make sure you know what you're talking about.

1.5L 4G Civic transmissions:

HF
STD
DX hatch
DX/LX sedan

They're all slightly different. You can't just say "D15 tranny". There was more than one.

The sedan transmission isn't bad at all- it just has a slightly taller final drive than the Si, so you'll lose a bit of acceleration but recover some fuel efficiency. It's a really good middle ground between the Si and the tall FD of the non-Si hatch transmission.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jun 11 2003, 04:45 PM
Guys- get your information straight first before blabbing all over the place. :angry:

You can't use the original ECU because it's set up for two injectors, not four. It doesn't matter that the original engine was SOHC and the new one is DOHC (if that's the ZC he chose)- the ECU doesn't control the cams.

The sedan transmission (DX and LX) are the exact same as the Si transmission except for the final drive. The sedans have a 4.058 final drive while the Si has a 4.250 FD. Gears 1 through 5 are the same. You can read that information in your Helms. The 1.5L engines in the 4th generation Civics came with 3 or 4 different transmissions, so make sure you know what you're talking about.

1.5L 4G Civic transmissions:

HF
STD
DX hatch
DX/LX sedan

They're all slightly different. You can't just say "D15 tranny". There was more than one.

The sedan transmission isn't bad at all- it just has a slightly taller final drive than the Si, so you'll lose a bit of acceleration but recover some fuel efficiency. It's a really good middle ground between the Si and the tall FD of the non-Si hatch transmission.

:werd: The si tranny will rev a little higher on the freeway and be a little quicker. In my old 91 sedan dx I used the si and dx tranny and I did not find that much of a difference in acceleration. The 200 bucks for the si tranny could be spent better elsewhere.

Back