91 CRX + built LS + snail

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i figure i should be able to build the motor and turbo setup for about 3500. running manual crx... 500. body doesn't matter to me at all.

Engine - 250
Sleeve Job - 800
Forged Pistons - 450
Forged Rods - 350
Cams/Valvetrain - 750
GOOD Headwork - 1000 (a multiangle VJ is a must!)
GSR Transmission - 500
Quaiffe LSD - 750
GT35R - 900
All Turbo Piping/ DP/ Exhaust - 1000

Total - $6750

That doesn't include the tuning and fuel management, or suspension, or car. You could do a budget 400whp for what you stated, but bulletproofing will be costly. That also assumed you bought stuff new, and got a steal of a deal on the motor. Granted, all you'd be buying the motor for would be the block and the crank, basically.

Engine - 200
Block Posted - 200
Forged Pistons - 450
Forged Rods - 300
Cams/Valvetrain - 750
Headwork - 400
GSR Transmission - 400
Quaiffe LSD - 750
T3/T04E 60/63 .50 trim - 600
Intercooler = 200 (JRC)
BOV = 30 (crushed 1g dsm)
Piping and exhaust - $250

Total - $4530

That doesn't include the tuning and fuel management, or suspension, or car. You could do a budget 400whp for what you stated, but bulletproofing will be costly. That also assumed you bought stuff new, and got a steal of a deal on the motor. Granted, all you'd be buying the motor for would be the block and the crank, basically.

I edited your figures above for slightly more reality to fit my build.

Where did you find a johnny racecar intercooler? Also. A good valve job alone from a reputable machine shop will cost you at least 250, so I don't know what kind of head work you are getting for 400, besides maybe a portmatch, but if you have the hookups, that's good. I did my own porting, and all it cost me was time, so consider doing that if you are only looking for a mild pnp. It wasn't that hard. And that's a good buy on the gsr transmission if the gears aren't messed up. Looks like you are going budget, that's cool. My next project goal is 300whp on only $1000. :)

I've got a machine shop here in town that has done work for me for years and they give the sweet hookups. They took a block I had for my former car, and hot tanked it, decked it, and bored it .040 over for $300. Really good guys.

As for the JRC intercooler... it's helpful that I've got friends that have extras laying around that they've never used. I'm stuck between budget and not-so-budget which is why I'm trying to cheap out as much as I can... and still get good shit lol.

Back