91 CRX HF oil and manual tranny fluid specs

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

zsquared

I just got a 91 CRX HF and it did not come with an owner's manual. I am going to order one today, along with the highly regarded Helm's service manual, but would like to change my oil and manual transmission fluid over the weekend. According to AutoZone.com - Get in the Zone!, the recommended oil is 5W-30 and is 3 7/10 quarts capacity including filter. The tranny fluid is 10W-30 or 10W-40 (ideal) and specifies a capacity of 1 8/9 quarts. The car has 177k miles and I live in central Florida; the car should never be in temps below 15 degrees F. Can anybody verify this? Thanks. :D

if you do use 10w30 or 40 in the tranny, make sure to use a full synthetic oil
but the synchromesh is awsome!

Thanks for the input, guys. I've read in searches many opposing opinions on the type of MTF to use. I've read generally that the Redline doesn't work well with Honda trannys and that the Honda MTF is pretty much just good enough. Although it's not specified for Honda trannys, I've heard a lot of good about the GM/Chrysler/Pennzoil Synchromesh... I think I'm going to try that first. I've got a problem with second gear popping out so I am hoping that this MTF will "fix" or at least reduce this. If that doesn't work out, then I will replace it with the AMSOil Synthetic Syncromesh MTF; I have had good luck with their products thus far and they do specify this as a direct replacement for Honda MTF.

Any engine oil recommendations? I have come to trust AMSOil, but am cautious about putting it in a motor with this many miles; I've read synthetic tends to leak over conventional oil in worn engines. Has anyone put full synthetic oil in a high mileage (177k) HF engine? What about Lucas Oil Stabilizer?

Back to the original question, can anybody verify the engine oil specs and capacity for a 91 CRX HF? Thanks! :D

Back