91 CRX questions...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Kroger

Im new here just registerd because I have been browsing around thinking of a new project car to keep me occupied during my spare time...I am not extremely familiar with Honda's I have some experince working at honda at RnD as an engineer. I am moreso into the BMW tuning scene

ok here's my idea and would like it if i could get some answers before I start calling around to places looking like an idiot. I have been thinking about making a track car (not drag...TRACK) and the CRX has struck me as just a easy car to do because of the lighweight.

Cost is not a big issue but would not like to dump a ton of money into the car because it will be ditched in about a year and half... Im just doing this while im in college... Newer much much better things come after that :)...but would like to get your opinion first. Say I already have a decent CRX bought... how much would it cost for a B18c5 engine trany the works Swap? Thats getting it in everything done and running and back onto the street again without me even blinking an eye... I will not be preforming much of the swap...just handing over the cash... I don't have time but would like to have something to track at Mid-Ohio and not worry about replacing a 10 grand hood....

If resonable price this would be my goal
Gutted CRX 91... has to be last year
B18c5 Engine Somewhat tuned and a few different mods
Coilover suspension
Pick up some 16''/15'' rims and then put on some larger brakes all around
Roll cage for track reasons :)
Sell the thing in about a year and half... moving on that time can't come fast enough :roll:

Sorry for the long post I would just like to gather as much info as possible... Thanks
Kroger

Originally posted by Kroger@Aug 3 2003, 11:04 PM
...a new project car to keep me occupied during my spare time...

...I am not extremely familiar with Honda's I have some experince working at honda at RnD as an engineer...

...Im just doing this while im in college...

... would like to have something to track at Mid-Ohio and not worry about replacing a 10 grand hood....

Sorry for the criticism, but I found a few flaws in the content that you posted.

1. When I was an undergrad, with one and a half years left on my engineering degree, I had no spare time. At least not enough for a "project car"

2. How can you work as an "Engineer" at Honda without a degree yet. Last time I checked, they only hire engineers with a B.S., and it's hard to get a position in Marysville. CO-OP or internships are different...

3. See #2

4. Show me a $10,000 hood on a car that a student can afford.

But to answer your questions, you would need at least $1000 for a good shell, $5k for the complete swap and mounts, add another $2000 labor(est.) Probably another grand for a roll cage and quality coilovers with installation. So you're almost at $10k. And then you will sell it all in a year and a half? Let me clue you in: You're asking about an undertaking where you will probably lose at least $3500 when you go to sell it.

Have you taken Engineering Economics or Cost Estimating and Assessment yet?

--L.W., B.S.E.E. May 2000
M.S.N.E. Dec 2001

Thanks for your reply on the issue of cost etc... I was just trying to get a general feel for what I will be quoted when going to a Aftermarket supplier and shop. Now to answer your more general doubtful questions...

1. Starting in about 3 weeks I will start my senior year as a Mechanical Engineer at the University of Dayton. I will be completed in about a year and a half because of co-op jobs... Yes at honda... But I am going another half a semester to be picking up a minor in finance. And yes there is plenty of spare time at college...Engineering is a pain but it does leave you with spare time...I couldn't name a person that doesn' thave any. I am in college both to enjoy it and learn...Grades are great but connections and networking is even better. I currently just have a 3.0gpa nothing great nothing too bad...

2. I had a co-op at honda Jan-June of 2002 at their RnD and QIC(quality inprovement center) During that time I delt with mainly manufacturing flaws either coming from weld paint or assembly and would then begin to take sample cars and map out them using a CMM and Catia. For the RnD side of things I was involved in mainly one project... the 2003 accord that was going to be starting production in late August of 2002. Doing builds of the car from the ground up... and seeing how the suppliers materials fit and ease of use going on were the main work of the office... I worked all around from the windshield cowl to the pressure inside the cabin when a door is shut at a ceritan speed and testing the best exit routes for the airflow.

3. See above... and I am still in college

4. I live just minutes from Mid-ohio and frequent the track often... The car right now that is for me to track is a 96 Viper GTS...also have a 00 RT/10 and a 99 E36 M3... But the GTS is my main driver when I am not driving the Subaru(first car at 16). but the GTS is just a money eater... and if crashed it would come out pocket meaning even the slightest little bump of the hood results in a 6 grand used to 10 grand OEM hood. Tires run in the range of 1500 bucks for just pilot sports... I have the funds just don't feel like forking it over for a error on my part.

5. No I have not taken either of those classes nor will I at ending days at school

Money really isn't much of a problem I have plenty of investments that have done well...suprisingly over the past year etc. I am very big into not only the automotive field (my first love)but also love the whole business/economy side of things. My main goal of posting on here was to get a general idea of what these things would run... Before I go get pulled around in directions by mechanics at automotive tuning shops. Hear it from the people that have had something along these lines completed so I have a general Idea as stated before.

And yes the car will be ditched after I get out of school. I would get something totaly different and better but have decided its not worth having a 30-50k dollar nice car sitting aroundon campus to get beat to hell by others. I would just like something to mess with and start up racing more on a affordable leve, if there is such a thing in racing. And the CRX will be a great start seeing that IF it was to be crashed on the track... replacement would not be as great as say driving a

M Coupe
NSX
M3
or Viper for that matter

Thanks again for your reply and would hope I can get a few more responses outa some more people here... I hope I answered your questions and cleard up any flaws I may have left out in details... Any more feel free to ask

Kroger

man, just buy a rex shell for 1-2k and a crated (pre built performance) motor for 10k. Have them install it and drive away with your new race car.

I would like to keep cost under 15k, that would be my goal. Also another request.

List any and all problems that come about from a CRX. Engine problems and those related I could care less about im mainly looking for underbody problems etc... Thanks again... and would help if numbers started to fly around here... I have one member that gave a good reasonable reply with some estimated figures...

true, but they can come upgraded with forced induction if you select it, then it seems like they put down good numbers. For some reason for the LIFE of me I can't remember the shop that has all kinds of crated motors, they are online, someone has to know it.

The crx has the same problems as any other honda, rust from cheap metal and econo suspension on non-performance models. Basically repeair the rust, upgrade the suspension with sway bars, tie bars, strut bars, and coilovers and the car will handle amazingly. True coils + everything else will probably run you about 2k installed, so with that

1.5k CRX shell
10k crated performance motor from [.........].com (I forget)
2k suspension
1,000 roll cage
800 race seats

thats 15,300 and you have a race car.

sorry bout the questions to your questions on this board, sounds like most people here have something up their butts. If you want a good, intelligent reply to this question go to http://www.honda-tech.com and do a search before you ask there, it is one of the best sites out there. Good luck sounds like a fun project.

Thanks for the info... I went over there to check it out. Still open to others suggestions here... I'll take as many as i can get :)

I think all forms do... and I have got actully more responses over here than over there...

You know you still can post about the original topic also while flaming another member any(reasonable) input would be greatly appreciated :p

Originally posted by Motorswapman@Aug 4 2003, 08:03 PM
sorry bout the questions to your questions on this board, sounds like most people here have something up their butts. If you want a good, intelligent reply to this question go to http://www.honda-tech.com and do a search before you ask there, it is one of the best sites out there. Good luck sounds like a fun project.

Honda-tech kind of sucks. Its a bitch to find good info and there are too many fucking assholes. Also a lot of the mods are nazis. We might talk a little shit on here but its all in good fun.

get a b18c1, bore it out, sleeve it strap on a turbo and a 50 shot and go racing. can easily be done for 15000. and ull be in 10's, my friend is in process of doing his, 90 civic up like this, will be a damn nice setup when done.

Originally posted by SleEPeR_CRX@Aug 6 2003, 12:18 AM
get a b18c1, bore it out, sleeve it strap on a turbo and a 50 shot and go racing. can easily be done for 15000. and ull be in 10's, my friend is in process of doing his, 90 civic up like this, will be a damn nice setup when done.

Im not into the whole drag scene... a lot of people at school are with DSM's and Supra's but I enjoy the road course... So much fun.

I live right by mid ohio when im not at college. My fastest time on that 2.4 mile course I pulled a 1:56second @ avg speed of 91mph...in their RSX type-s. I would just like to have something of my own to take out there and don't have really worries about IF something were to happen because of the cheap repair cost of a CRX to say...

So I would like to do something different... and haven't seen from browsing too many B18c5's put into CRX's :D N/A of course. My budget I would like to keep it below 15 grand if possible..

dude, get a b18c1 with a turbo then, or b20vtec turbo:), not even a R in a CRX can hang with that, get some good coils, good shocks, strut bars.

B18c1 = 3500
CRX shell= 3000
Turbo=2500
Coils=500
shocks = 800

thats 10,300, and will be a dominator on the track, also those prices are canadian, if ur in US then it will only cost u like 8000 for all that.

Originally posted by SleEPeR_CRX@Aug 6 2003, 01:22 AM
dude, get a b18c1 with a turbo then, or b20vtec turbo:), not even a R in a CRX can hang with that, get some good coils, good shocks, strut bars.

B18c1 = 3500
CRX shell= 3000
Turbo=2500
Coils=500
shocks = 800

thats 10,300, and will be a dominator on the track, also those prices are canadian, if ur in US then it will only cost u like 8000 for all that.

That option hasn't been rulled out totaly of going FI. In cincy there is BASZ Racing... ( where the yellow integra type R on Sport compact car ultimate street car challenge) they built that car along with many others. So that would be where I would be going.. Their website is being updated but it is www.baszracing.com not much but to browse at thispoint...

I am not going to be stingy on prices so the motor must be slightly used 40k or way less... i would like to get around 10-20k miles.

CRX shell is the least of my worries really...just have to find one out there possibly with less than maybe 100,000 on the clock... which would be nice... I probably will not purchase anything untill december anyways.

Turbo is an option I love boost... there's a few dsm's at school that are well on their way to mid and high 11's ... and my good buddy with a supra that in one year should be at 900+ rwhp with at 50 shot and still with stock block...damn them GTE's

For my suspension work I would do something like Tein or koni coilovers...

You also forgot to mention brakes lightweight rims or some form of rims i really could care less just keep them under 15lbs.

INSTALL is what is goign to kill me IMO I will be calling around later this month and getting some quotes from people

Back