91 crx si help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EPIKMC

91RexSi
i need some help i've been having problems with my distributor the little bolt that holds my rotor on keeps coming off i've tried everything from drilling a hold all the way throu and putting a bolt with A lock nut on the other end to putting lock tight on the bolt and it seems to keep coming off. i recently put a new distributor on and it seems to be working fine now but my gas milege has gone down alot. what can i do? also it hasn't been idoling very high when i start it it is at almost 2000 rpms and when it warms up it seems fine but when i push the clutch in it goes to about 200 and then goes up to about 800 for a while it was surging like it would go to about 1100 and drop all the way to 100 then go back up and drop again while it was idoling and it would keep doing it. please help if anyone knows whats going on please help.

photos of the problem bolt might help... what motor? any recent work besides the distributor? why did you replace the distributor? plenty of people are having problems lately and it usually indicates improper swapping, tuning or maintenance in general. also is your check engine light coming on? have you checked your ecu for codes?

i am not sure i am picturing the bolt correctly, but when you strip out aluminum you can repair it with heli-coils. i see you are new here. do some research on the troubles you are having and if you do not have a manual for this car start there. am i helping?

no i've had no recent engine work i have the stock 1.6 si engine i replaced the distributor because it seazed up on me and sheared off my rotor. my check engine light isn't on. and how do i check the ecu? and how would i go about checking and adjusting the timing?

Last edited:
ok sounds like you don't need to worry about your ecu... you need this bolt problem fixed. i really can't say unless i see the picture and unfortunately i am very far from any honda distributor to look at. i will say this but i could be wrong... although your timing is somewhat adjustable from the distributor, it only moves slightly as i am sure you can see. i think it is hard to screw up your timing here so bad that the car would run poorly. i believe this adjustment is for fine tuning. you need more advanced advice than what i can offer here and now. stepping aside.....

for future thread posting and searching for info, your chassis is an EF. all EF related topics are in the EF chassis section, whereas you have this posted in EW chassis which is the generation civic/crx before yours. just fyi...

the surging rpm bit might indicate the ignition module, which is housed in the dizzy. but that's a longshot.

Believe it or not, the Battery has done that to me.

EGR may be getting plugged up. That's my bet.

Back