91 dx starts /sometimes/

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

LowFreq

I've had this car for a while now, and though it's gotten me from Kentucky to South Florida without incident, ever since I bought it, there would be times where it just wouldn't start for anywhere from 10 minutes to a few hours. I could never figure it out, I'd just go back inside and try again later, and it would start no problem. Lately it's gotten worse, and there was a while where it wouldn't start at all. I've narrowed it down to fuel just recently, it fired over with a little starter fluid, and died again. A couple of days ago, it started just fine, and has since. I'm afraid to drive the car though.

Long story short: Even though sometimes it still starts, is it still the fuel pump? If so, are there any detailed write-ups on replacing one?

Thanks in advance.

Ok I found a write up, and went ahead and replaced the filter first, so far the car is starting fine, but no matter how hard I tighten it, it's spraying fuel from the outlet on the filter.

No responses still, well, that sucks. The little copper washers were warped I think, so I replaced them in the fuel filter, I can't figure out how to get to the fuel pump to replace it, because the car still isn't getting gas half of the time, even to the STILL leaking filter. Any help would be appreciated.

could be a fuel pump issue, or maybe the wiring to the fuel pump? check to make sure you have power going to the pump next time the problem reoccurs, also make sure the pump has a good ground, when you turn the key on the on position, can you hear the fuel pump kick on? if your going to replace the fuel pump.. you have to drop the tank.

The community is gonna throw a fit when they see me under my car. :D I've got the pump, and I worked some magic on the filter, and it's stopped leaking. On an unrelated note, I've got a sort of rattle in my distributor, when the car decides to run, sounds sort of like shaking a paint can. Any idea on the cause? Would that be related to a timing issue, or directly to the distributor itself?
Edit: When it won't start, I don't hear the pump at all, and I've never thought to listen before it does actually start, but I'd assume those times it's working.

I give up. I'm bringing the car to honda on monday morning because everyone I talk to gives me a different reason for the problems.

well good luck.. make sure to post up whatever honda decides to do and let us know if it fixes the problem

Will do. I'll probably just pay the diagnosis fee and try my hand at it once I know for sure what the problem is.

rattling is most likely bearing in distributor

Had same problem with my car if you take off the cap and can wiggle the rotor a fair amount, that would be the problem.

Best regards,

Bryan

Its common for the fuel pump relays to go on 4th gen civics. Ive had issues a couple of times with mine, once in the middle of rush hour traffic when stopped at a light. I just gave the left panel under the dash a good smack a few times until eventually I could hear the fuel pump prime.

I had the coil and the relay replaced in my car, left the shop and it wouldn't start, they worked on it agian and found a bad ground in the ignition circuit

will that throw a code 16? I had that problem when I first got my Std, but instead of fucking with it I swapped it. I dont have that code anymore, just wondering.

Back