91 ef with d15, d16 distributor, b18 tubo injectors....????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i just bought a 91 4dr ef and the guy says he builds tons of hondas but i dont no much about motors so i wanna make sure this is all legit...he put a d15 in it (not sure whats stock), put a d16 distributor on there, and he was getting ready to boost it so he put on b18 turbo injectors. (the car is NOT turbo) im sure everythings good, but i figure with the injectors the motor would be running rich...I wanna no if its okay with those injectors in there with it not being turboed? and after a few minutes the car will idle up and down and itll idle so low that it sounds like it gets close to stalling, but it doesnt. i just give it some more gas and it goes away. some help? is this fine? normal? should i get stock injectors? what could the idle problem be coming from? is that from the d16 distributor and the its timing? maybe something dirty like the IACV (idle air control valve)? Also have a clutch question if anyone knows old hondas...i heard somewhere about a hydro clutch??? what is that and hows it work(if thats forreal)? if you can put it into words that would be cool... Cause when i put my car in gear, the stick just floats back to the middle, but its still in gear. even when i put it in reverse...idk y it would do that, never had an older honda. so its like i have to remember what gear its in.....i really appreciate the help, and hope someone has a few answers for me to get me on the right track.

ok so i think i will try and shed some light on this situation...the ef sedan normally comes with the d15, the d16 dizzy should work just fine cause from what i know there is not a difference between the 2, the b18 turbo injectors hey mite have just put bigger injectors in it but not sure about if this guy you bought it from knows what he is doing. the idle up and down problem could be a vacuum leak of possibly the iacv. a hydro clutch means instead of a cable to activate the clutch its a hydraulic system kinda like how brake systems work. the shifter going into the center like it isnt staying in gear could be bad shift linkage and stabilizer bushings. i hope this helps you

hey, anything helps u know? but yeah u did answer a few things for me...still curious to know if the motor will be fine with those injectors in there even while it isnt turboed and any problems it could cause...thanks for describing the hydro clutch tho, that makes a little more sense. could i swap it to a cable clutch? im sure i could but would it be better? and with the shifter floating back to the center, the clutch still stays in gear. i am missing a throwout bearing, could that be affecting it? i know i have to deal with the annoying whining it makes but is it still fine to drive it around like that?

First the original owner is an idiot.

Second there are no such thing as "b18 turbo injectors". There are however uprated injectors. For example stock B series injectors are rated at 240cc/min. If you were boosting and were on a budget you'd source a set of Turbo DSM injectors referred to as Blue Tops which are rated at 450cc/min. More than likely you have stock B series injectors.

I cant comment on the D16 distributor working or not working on the D15, I dont know if they're the same or not.

Bouncing idle - there are two bolts that hold the IACV to the back of the manifold. Remove those, spray the two orrifices with brakleen, blow the orifices out and put it back together. That should fix the bouncing idle issue. Or as stated, it could be your trusted shade tree mechanic has a vacuum leak.

As for the shifter, its either shifter bushings or the shifter is not mounted properly to the engine/car or the shifter itself is worn out.

Your car has a cable actuated clutch, it is not hydro. Unless your trusted shadetree mechanic converted it, which I doubt. Either way the clutch type has nothing to do with your shifter floating.

Lastly, put the car back to stock and either sell it or junk it. Its never ever a good idea to buy someone elses project, especially from someone who has no idea what they're doing.

Last edited:
thanks!........

cleaned the IACV, wasnt dirty but seemed to help a little... and it turns out i do have a vacuum leak also, but a friend has parts i need from the motor he pulled from his civic so thats no big deal.

finally got a scissor jack and got the car up and looks like my shifter bushings are worn so imma get that fixed soon enough.

also its Not hydro, i just wanted to get an explanation, but thanks.

but if my shifter does float will that affect the clutch at all? like wil it hurt it in any way?

it could really hurt the tranny itslef cause you will not be for sure what gear you are in. or were in. i would definately fix that asap. be like going to fourth and putting it in 1st, or 5th into 3rd. just makes more since to fix the problem rather than drive it like it is... well i might be thinking of my six speed in my goat. but going into a lower gear at a higher speed is not good on drivetrain components. especially when you ne it!

well yeah i know that. thats just stupid, i wouldnt forget what gear im in. worst comes to worst if i think im in 4th but im not sure, i could just put it in 5th and go down from there...i just wanted to know, if the shifter was floating while im in gear if it would affect it, but i guess not. im not driving the car long distances anyway so it should be fine for now

Back