91 LS won't start

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

punkracerkid

I've always used this site as a reference for my CRX and have never felt the need to post anything until now.

I recently bought a 91 Integra LS as a car to use for deliveries. The car ran fine, minus a few things the previous owner messed up, like the driver side motor mount not connected to the block. Anyhow, after a couple weeks the radiator got a hole in it from the a/c fan shroud rubbing so I patched that. Then the thermostat went out a couple days later. I replaced that. Then the heater inlet hose got a hole in it so I fixed that. The same day I fixed that I was driving my route and the car backfired and died.

The car sounded like it choked before it backfired. After I pulled to the side of the highway I tried to restart but it would just crank and crank without firing at all. I replaced the spark plugs which I had with me already cause I intended on changing them anyway. That alone did not work. I was hoping but not really expecting it too. I called a friend to help with my route and then the next day went to get my car. We tested for spark on each plug and each one fired just fine, yet the car had no combustion.

We took the car home and I bought a multimeter and tested the inside of the distributor and that checked into specs. I then bought a fuel pressure test kit, but it didn't have the right size adapter. Ichanged the fuel filter, though, and turned the key to prime the system. I can hear the fuel pump and after trying to start I can smell gas.

Next I checked the marks on the cam gears and the crank pulley, and they were off a bit. I bought a new timing belt and began the process of replacing it. Of course, I had the stubborn bolt holding me back, and with limited transportation, it took a couple days to finally get that off. I broke a Craftsman breaker and a GearWrench 1/2" drive socket extension. I borrowed an electric impact but that hadn't enough power, so I bought a new one rated at 420ft/lbs. That didn't get it either. Eventually my stepdad came over with a 3/4" drive breaker and standing on the cheater bar and bouncing finally broke it loose.

I finished the installation of the timing belt and double checked tension and all marks lined up right. I put it all back together and tried to start it. NOTHING!!!

The car is showing no check engine or trouble codes at all, it's obviously getting fuel and spark and now it's timed right. There is no sign of any combustion. It's not trying to start at all.

What can I do now??? I NEED to have a car to drive. My 2 jobs have been at risk for nearly a week now, and this can't go on much longer.

If anyone has an idea to try please let me know.

Thanks.

are you sure your getting spark my prelude did the same thing and it was the igniter in the dizzy when i was on the way back from the track it back fired and my brother said it shot a flame and it wouldnt start i luckily had a accord dizzy sitting there and figured out what was wrong with it just an idea

I am pretty sure I'm getting spark. I was thinking it might be too weak if it's what it is. I did the "caveman" test and put a plug in the boot and touched an engine ground while someone cranked it to see if the plug sparked. I did this to each plug, and each plug sparked a visible blue spark in daylight. I listened to my dad and bought a new coil for it, and that didn't work. I think I found someone who has a whole working distributor I can use as a test. If that works out, I'll see if I can buy it off him cheap.

I figured it might be the distributor because my 93 Civic did the same thing when I was delivering pizzas (real good time to die, btw). Only difference was that when I tested for spark the same way, I got no spark at all. with the Civic.

Hopefully I can get this figured out soon.

check all your grounds on your engine make sure there making good contact mainly the one on the thermostat housing it might not have enough ground to turn the ecu on completley

I have 2 grounds to the cylinder head, and the ground wires on the thermostat are firm, clean and there don't appear to be any damage following the path of cables.

are you positive that you got it back in time right did you use something to hold the cams in place while you put it oo

Back