91 si B18 swap question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i figured a high reving B18 wouldn't hold a candle to a high reving B20. but i again... i know shit. let me know

the b20's are designed for more low end tq, so they don't perform as well in the high end. regardless if you build them to handle the extra few hundred rpm. the engine was designed for and originally put into a crv. so it shouldn't be a mystery as to why a high revving vtec b18 would in most cases be faster than a b20. Also the rpm you're sitting at on the freeway has everything to do with what trans you choose, and nothin to do with the engine itself. 4k at 70 sounds like a b16 or gsr tranny. i don't personally like the rpm's that high, even if it does make you faster, so i plan on sticking with an ls tranny. maybe drop a lsd unit one of these days.

decided to hold off on the mini me project for now. i wanted an LS FRANK from the start. my question is what block is strongest??? what block would you go with??? im converting to OBD1 and getting the rywire kit. i plan on turbo later on down the road. but i just want to run around with the stock LS and get to know the car all over again. i think ill appreciate the mods more when i know what stock felt like and was capable of vs. mods... thanks again.

Here's my 2-cents on this:

I have the stock LS in mine right now. Here is my build https://hondaswap.com/hybrid-ed-ef-da/big-thanks-hondaswap-com-149125/

Both the B20 and B18 bottom ends are built pretty strong. Many a modder has built reliable high-horsepower motors out of both. Just make sure to do it right. In the "Reliable LSVTEC" article it recommends using ARP rod bolts, this is good advice. For extra security get some new bearings, and if you are really going to make high hp consider some aftermarket rods from any of the reputable mfgs. Just be smart and do that now so you dont end up like me, having to pull the bottom end apart to go from LS to LSVTEC. Also pay attention to the early LS motors as some of them (90 and 91 I think) are OBD0. The LS swap is well proven and pretty straight forward, follow your instincts, get it done, get to know it, you've got plenty of time to research the next step.

Back