91 si b18 turbo/ overheating

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

4gH22

my b18 turbo 91 si hatch, overheats when i drive for long periods on the highway. i want to change my turbo and manifold setup. so i can run the full size rad that the car came with stock. what manifold do i need to use for the turbo to clear the full size radiator?

probably a top mount manifold and if it over heating after long periods of time it may be a thermo or fan issues check those also make sure there is no air bubbles in your cooling system

the car has an aftermarket half rad. its thick aluminum with a flex a lite fan. i jus bought the car 2 weeks ago cause it was a steal. the way this kid has the swap done is absolutely a mess! i am slowing fixing it as money permits. the radiator is so badley placed it i will post pictures. i really want to go back to a full size radiator. i have a new turbo i want to run also. plus a/c would be nice. i live in florida

By chance is your car a Auto? If so the trans may cause the engine to over heat.
But I would check antifreeze level and make sure it flows good through the radiator. Also make sure the air flow across the fins in the radiator. Just because the fan turns on don't mean that its pulling the air through the radiator. Plus if the Antifreeze is now and not touching the sensor to turn the cooling fans on then the fans wont turn on.. they need to be under the water level..
My honda was swapped with a B16. the plug for the water temp was broken. I also think that their is two sensors one for the fan/computer the other one is for the gauge.. I am not sure on your model or motor as its not in front of me too look at..
Hope that helps
Pizzo

I am sorry I forgot to mention one thing, see if it has a thermostat in it .. Most common mistake ppl do is take it out cause it will cause you to over heat.. The water in the radiator wont be restricted and wont have enough time too cool off with it removed..

yes the car dose have a thermostat, but neither the heater hoses nor the coolant hoses to the throttle body are hooked up

Back