91 Teg... Need Advice!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sohcslammer

My friend ownes a 91 'teg w/ the ls motor. When she tries to start it, it sputters, tries to start and dies. It has plenty of gas and the starter works fine. I checked the throttle and it works too. My only thought - Fuel pump? Any ideas would be helpfull.... thanx guys. :angry:

you can check to see if it is the fuel pump by trying to hear if its pumping in the back. It could also be her ECU or ICV.

Or you could start with the things that a real mechanic would start with.

Is she getting a spark? That is the most simplistic test.

Is her air filter clean? A dirty filter can cause a car to not start.

Is she getting fuel to the rail? To test this you remove the line from the rail and put it in a 1 quart mason jar. Have her turn the key to the on position. The mason jar should fill in a second or two.

If she has all these things are her compression numbers okay?

If all these are okay, now try a different ECU.

Start testing these things before you start replacing parts.

i forgot to ask... bv sputter do you mean crank or sputter as in start up and just die out?

did you try running it on some starting fluid. just a little bit though, if it runs good and then dies again or if you can get it to hold an idle by spraying a little shot every 2 secs into the throttle body. then you have a fuel problem. next step is to see the fuel pressure is sufficent. around the 40 psi range. good luck. But you really need to diagnose the problem first. Find out if its the spark or the fuel?

You might wanna try the fuel pump relay. It,s about 60$ and is located under the dash on the drivers side. My 92 teggy had similar problem.

what about the crank angle sensor? my brother in-law had what appears to be your same problem.

;) So, thanx for all the help guys, it turned out it was the rotor in the distributor. It fucking CRUMBLED. So, $12 for a new rotor = :D :D :D

Happened to me also, seems as though you learned a lesson (lsvtec)
Or you could start with the things that a real mechanic would start with.

Is she getting a spark? That is the most simplistic test.

Is her air filter clean? A dirty filter can cause a car to not start.

Is she getting fuel to the rail? To test this you remove the line from the rail and put it in a 1 quart mason jar. Have her turn the key to the on position. The mason jar should fill in a second or two.

If she has all these things are her compression numbers okay?

If all these are okay, now try a different ECU.

Start testing these things before you start replacing parts.

Bahahahahaha thats funny shit :D

It's funny you should mention it. Yea, I learned to start with the easy stuff the hard way. :)

Back