91CRX B18A SWAP/TRANS QUESTION

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ravunous

Banned
I HAVE A 1991 CRX DX THAT I AM PUTTING IN A B18A1 FROM A 1993 TEG AND THE 5SPEED TRANS. THE TEG HAD POWER STEERING AND HAD 2 LINES FROM THE POWER STEERING RACK TO THE TRANS BY THE SPEEDO CABLE. MY CRX HAS MANUAL STEERING AND I WAS GOING TO KEEP THE MANUAL STEERING SO CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT I CAN DO ABOUT THE LINES OR SHOULD DO.AND IF THE LINES ARE REQUIRED TO COOL SOME PORTION OF THE TRANS?
THANKS, RAVUNOUSCRX

I have the same question. I haven't gotten any help from this site yet. I'm still waiting for a response to my emissions and engine control components post. If I get fed up with waiting, I'll try calling around and I'll post if I get a good answer.

I believe those are for the power assist steering system. You probably should hook them up.

I have the same year trans on a 94 motor in my ef hatch, and I dont have them hooked up, they are for your speedo, they adjust for power steering in the speedo, you don't have PS, but since your car won't be able to read the singal from that drive gear anyway DON'T WORRY ABOUT THEM. I don't have them hooked up either, but my speedo doesn't work...

Originally posted by OO3Menace@Sep 24 2004, 01:14 PM
I have the same year trans on a 94 motor in my ef hatch, and I dont have them hooked up, they are for your speedo, they adjust for power steering in the speedo, you don't have PS, but since your car won't be able to read the singal from that drive gear anyway DON'T WORRY ABOUT THEM. I don't have them hooked up either, but my speedo doesn't work...
[post=394339]Quoted post[/post]​

Does anyone know how to get the speedo working or if this is the case. I want my speedo to work.

You can swap out your civic drive gear into the LS tranny, SportCompactCar did this in their 91 B18A swap...it requires taking apart your tranny housing though.

Originally posted by OO3Menace@Sep 24 2004, 01:14 PM
[post=394339]Quoted post[/post]​

I have the same engine and transmission Rav, out of a 1993 integra. (b18a1) I'm going to try and help out as much as I can. This is what I came up with:

1. There was indeed power steering fluid coming into/out of those lines.

2. I took out the speed sensor, which included the speedometer gear.

3. I took the compartment apart where those lines ran into, (two bolts), and I found a nifty little gearing setup. (Just looking at the technology is pretty neat.)

3a. There is an outer gear that spins intricately around an inner gear, which will slide off the outer gear, and come out.

3b. There is an inner gear that slides off also, except it will slide off of the speedometer shaft.

3c. There is a pin that sticks through the speedometer shaft, keeping the the shaft from sliding out of the contraption, which the inner gear holds in place.

3d. Take this pin out, and out comes the speedometer shaft and gear.

The shaft and the gear are connected as one piece. At the top of the shaft is where the speedometer cable slides in. At the bottom, is where the transmission turns the gear which turns the shaft. So, I would see no reason why the speedometer wouldn't work if you hooked up the speedometer cable.

The only thing I can think of that might or might not be a problem, would be the difference in speedometer reading. Since there is going to be a different transmission turning your speedometer gauge, your speedometer speed reading might be off. That might be something that menace was saying how to fix. I don't know.

As for those lines coming out of the speed sensor, I personally might just plug them off in hopes that no dirt will get in there.

For anybody who wants to take this thing apart like I did, it might be a good idea to lube it up with some grease before putting it back together, and to be careful not to drop it in dirt while it's apart. :)

CORRECTION:

3a. There is an outer gear that spins intricately around an inner gear, which will slide off the INNER gear, and come out.

well 88crx does your speedo work? I have the speedo cable in and mine doesn't read anything...I would be happy if it at least read something even if it was off.

Originally posted by OO3Menace@Sep 25 2004, 11:54 AM
well 88crx does your speedo work? I have the speedo cable in and mine doesn't read anything...I would be happy if it at least read something even if it was off.
[post=394591]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm not sure as of yet. I have both motors out and waiting on my wiring to come back.

I sure hope that it will work. If it doesn't, I'm going to be stumped and disappointed.

I'm pretty much new to the whole car thing. If you're speedometer worked before, I'd personally check to make sure that the speedometer still works, just for my own comfort, by taking the speedometer cable out of the transmission, and having somebody sit in the car and look at the speedometer while the other person flick-twists the cable. If it doesn't show any reading while spinning it one way, spin it the other way. Your speedometer should jump to 10-20mph and then fall back down to 0.

If it doesn't work, make sure the speedometer cable itself is pushed as far back as it can go. (The cable can actually be pulled out from the housing that it's in.) There is a square fitting on the other end of the cable that must be pushed back all the way, like a key to a lock, into the speedometer itself. If that's pulled out too far, then you'll have to twist the cable, then push on it, little bits at a time, until you feel it slide back in.

If it does work when you flick-twist the cable, then make sure that the speedometer cable is plugged all the way down into the transmission. (I'm sure you probably already made sure of that.) If everything works from the speedometer all the way down at the end of the cable, then I'm stumped as of now. And, I will let you know if mine works, when it's hooked up to the transmission, when I get my engine swap done.

:eek:

You guys are thinking WAYYYY too hard about this.

All you have to do is use the stock Civic speedo sensor that's in the tranny with the stock Civic cable in the LS tranny. There's a 10mm bolt that holds the sensor down. Remove that bolt, then yank the LS speed sensor with the lines on it, replace with the one from the D series tranny. Speedo will read fine, everything is all set.

Also, there is a small tab on the cable's end. That has to be lined up correctly for the cable to seat completely, and for the speedo to work. Double check that tab alignment. SOMETIMES it's easier to install the cable into the sensor, THEN put the sensor with cable attached into the tranny.

:D

Thanks guys-I just left it filled with fluid and jupmed a hose between them.I hope to have the engine up and running this week so we will se if the speedo works. It worked before the swap.
I have the complete power steering system from the 93 teg if you know anyone interested its for sale or trade.

Originally posted by SiR Kid@Sep 25 2004, 03:26 PM
:eek:  

You guys are thinking WAYYYY too hard about this.

All you have to do is use the stock Civic speedo sensor that's in the tranny with the stock Civic cable in the LS tranny.  There's a 10mm bolt that holds the sensor down. Remove that bolt, then yank the LS speed sensor with the lines on it, replace with the one from the D series tranny.  Speedo will read fine, everything is all set.

Also, there is a small tab on the cable's end. That has to be lined up correctly for the cable to seat completely, and for the speedo to work. Double check that tab alignment. SOMETIMES it's easier to install the cable into the sensor, THEN put the sensor with cable attached into the tranny.

:D
[post=394630]Quoted post[/post]​

No, we aren't. We're just being thorough. And, what you said in the first paragraph isn't a finger snap. The crx dx transmission that I have does not have a speedo sensor on it, nor will the speedometer cable shaft/gear unbolt and come right out.

Originally posted by SiR Kid@Sep 25 2004, 04:51 PM
I'd be willing to make $1000 bet on this that it does.

Look here. #10 moving up to #9 is the sensor assembly.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/j...G-+DIFFERENTIAL
[post=394657]Quoted post[/post]​

Now you got me really confused. What I think you're showing me is a speedometer gear/shaft. I'd like to see the actual sensor. (The sensor should have wires running off / or around it)

4th gen Civics/2nd gen CRX's have a cable running from the speedo to the tranny, and what I posted in that picture is the "sensor" that converts the gear drive to cable drive.

Now PLEASE don't post in the 4th gen forum unless you know about 4th gens.

Originally posted by SiR Kid@Sep 26 2004, 09:32 AM
4th gen Civics/2nd gen CRX's have a cable running from the speedo to the tranny, and what I posted in that picture is the "sensor" that converts the gear drive to cable drive.

[post=394806]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm going to go into Honda tomorrow and check with the tech guys on this one. I'm going to tell them exactly what you've told me. I'll probably post again tomorrow stating what they said.

Originally posted by 88CRX+Sep 26 2004, 11:16 AM-->
@Sep 26 2004, 09:32 AM

[post=394806]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm going to go into Honda tomorrow and check with the tech guys on this one. I'm going to tell them exactly what you've told me. I'll probably post again tomorrow stating what they said.
[post=394820]Quoted post[/post]​

Here's the information straight from the Honda techies concerning the year/make/model - 1988 Honda Crx Dx 5 Speed. That speedometer gear/shaft, which I call it, is what the books call a sensor/speed sensor. But, they said that it is technically not a sensor/speed sensor. It has no wiring or functional purpose with the computer whatsoever. All it does is spin the speedometer cable. There is no sensor that converts the gear drive, to cable drive. It's plainly a piece of metal with a gear on the one end of it, and a fitting for a speedometer cable to slide in on the other end. It senses nothing. It's plainly a speedometer gear/shaft. (Refer to part #10 on the site you posted earlier.)

Now PLEASE don't get upset when I tell you this SiR Kid, but you should have known that. With all your supposed experience, you could have explained to me that it's not a sensor/speed sensor, and that's just what the books call it. I would honestly take back the "Now PLEASE don't post in the 4th gen forum unless you know about 4th gens." remark, because that statement obviously applies to you moreso than me, considering that you have posted more than 2,800 times.

And, for everybody else, I hope the information helps you out and clears up confusion as it did for me.

Back