91CRX B18A SWAP/TRANS QUESTION

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I looked at it today and it doesnt look like you can just swap the D series in the place of the B series trans speedo sensor as SIR kid said.There is no 10 mm bolt in the D and it is a smaller speedo housing than the B. I just looped a line between the 2 lines in the speedo sensor and let it full of fluid. We will se how that works.

Originally posted by RavunousCRX@Sep 27 2004, 07:12 PM
I looked at it today and it doesnt look like you can just swap the D series in the place of the B series trans speedo sensor as SIR kid said.There is no 10 mm bolt in the D and it is a smaller speedo housing than the B. I just looped a line between the 2 lines in the speedo sensor and let it full of fluid. We will se how that works.
[post=395492]Quoted post[/post]​

That sounds like a smart idea to leave some fluid in there for lubrication. That's probably what I'm going to do too.

Were you able to get your D-series speedometer shaft/gear out? I wasn't. If it takes taking the transmission apart, I might mess with that some other time. I still have more swap related prep-work to do.

I found this out last week that my 93 b18a1 header & downpipe won't bolt up to 88 crx catalytic converter. So, if anybody ran/runs into this problem, please let me know what you did, or I'll try to mess with it myself and let you guys know what I did and how it turned out.

I got the speedo out of the d series it just pulled right out it held in by a interferance fit with a o-ring and i took the 10mm bolt out of the B series and the speedo sensor pulled right out of the B and the D dropped right in place of it so CRX kid was right ! We will see if it works .

RavunousCRX

I'm glad you finally took a look at it. It's quite simple.

88CRX:

How is me calling the "sensor" in the tranny a sensor, and the actual MANUALS saying that this so called "sensor" is in fact a "sensor" not correct?

Further, if you were to try to purchase this assembly from someone, how would YOU describe it? I'd call it a "speed sensor" and 9/10 people would know what I was looking for.

Yeah, like I said above, the "sensor" that is in/on the tranny NOES NOT convert the signal to an electronic one, it simply spins a cable using gearing, BUT that was never the original question. If it was, I would have explained to you that the actual electronic signal comes from your instrument cluster, after another electronic sensor there which is part of the speedometer determines how fast the cable is spinning and sends a series of electronic pulses to the ECU to tell the ECU how fast you are moving.

Ask what you want to know. Assume nothing, and DEFINITELY don't think that the sensor on the tranny is not removable. It is. The bolt is probably just hidden under a pile of oily road grime which is quite common on these cars after some time.

I'm using my d16a6 speed sensor off the D tranny on my B16 tranny now, and I'll be using a similarly compatible electronic speed sensor with a 95 GSR cluster, since it doesn't use the cable I mentioned that the 4th gen Civic/2nd gen CRX requires.

Originally posted by SiR Kid@Sep 29 2004, 04:56 PM
RavunousCRX

I'm glad you finally took a look at it. It's quite simple.

88CRX:

How is me calling the "sensor" in the tranny a sensor, and the actual MANUALS saying that this so called "sensor" is in fact a "sensor" not correct?

Further, if you were to try to purchase this assembly from someone, how would YOU describe it? I'd call it a "speed sensor" and 9/10 people would know what I was looking for.

Yeah, like I said above, the "sensor" that is in/on the tranny NOES NOT convert the signal to an electronic one, it simply spins a cable using gearing, BUT that was never the original question. If it was, I would have explained to you that the actual electronic signal comes from your instrument cluster, after another electronic sensor there which is part of the speedometer determines how fast the cable is spinning and sends a series of electronic pulses to the ECU to tell the ECU how fast you are moving.

Ask what you want to know. Assume nothing, and DEFINITELY don't think that the sensor on the tranny is not removable. It is. The bolt is probably just hidden under a pile of oily road grime which is quite common on these cars after some time.

I'm using my d16a6 speed sensor off the D tranny on my B16 tranny now, and I'll be using a similarly compatible electronic speed sensor with a 95 GSR cluster, since it doesn't use the cable I mentioned that the 4th gen Civic/2nd gen CRX requires.
[post=396335]Quoted post[/post]​

------
Now you got me really confused. What I think you're showing me is a speedometer gear/shaft. I'd like to see the actual sensor. (The sensor should have wires running off / or around it)
------

That wasn't clear enough? That was from a post that I wrote earlier, scroll up.

You responded with:

------
4th gen Civics/2nd gen CRX's have a cable running from the speedo to the tranny, and what I posted in that picture is the "sensor" that converts the gear drive to cable drive.

Now PLEASE don't post in the 4th gen forum unless you know about 4th gens.
------

I'm not going to keep wasting my time with this topic since Honda already told me the answer.

I tried getting the gear/shaft out of my d-series tranny. I unscrewed a bolt, 10mm. All that held down was a metal sliver that led up to the gear/shaft but wasn't connected to it like the b18a's was. I tried prying it out a little bit and broke a little part of the circular piece surrounding the gear/shaft off. I don't know what the deal is. I might have to ask them about that too.

Honda agreed with what I told you. THERE IS NO SEPARATE ELECTRONIC SPEED SENSOR ON A CABLE TRANSMISSION. It's mechanical, and then it's converted BY THE SPEEDOMETER CLUSTER to be electronic.

That thing in the tranny IS the sensor. Not all sensor's are electronic, man.

You have to remove the bolt and the plate, then wiggle the hell out of that thing to get it out. It's a machined fit piece, meaning tolerances are VERY tight.

Originally posted by SiR Kid@Sep 29 2004, 11:55 PM
Honda agreed with what I told you. THERE IS NO SEPARATE ELECTRONIC SPEED SENSOR ON A CABLE TRANSMISSION. It's mechanical, and then it's converted BY THE SPEEDOMETER CLUSTER to be electronic.

That thing in the tranny IS the sensor. Not all sensor's are electronic, man.

You have to remove the bolt and the plate, then wiggle the hell out of that thing to get it out. It's a machined fit piece, meaning tolerances are VERY tight.
[post=396536]Quoted post[/post]​

Honda said you were wrong about what you told me. You just told me what they told me after I posted what they told me. You might want to go back and re-read some of those topics to prove my point.

I don't have time for this crap. You're starting to make me think that you have nothing better to do. I know the answer to my question, which was, "Where is the actual speed sensor?" In response, you told me, "In the transmission." That is wrong. On later models, then you might be right. Honda didn't seem to have a problem telling me exactly what I needed to know. Thanks for the confusion.

Now, please drop it.

You're a fucking dousche bag.

If you don't consider the gear that turns the cable in the tranny to be the speed sensor, then there literally is NO speed sensor on a 4th gen civic.

Originally posted by SiR Kid@Sep 30 2004, 10:35 PM
You're a fucking dousche bag.

If you don't consider the gear that turns the cable in the tranny to be the speed sensor, then there literally is NO speed sensor on a 4th gen civic.
[post=396990]Quoted post[/post]​

lol. Yeah there is. It's in the instrument cluster.

It's spelled douche.

Thanks for the intentional insult. It made me so damn horny, I went out and bought a 10 pack of douche bags. It was an exciting orgy.

Now, please drop it. (2x)

Back