92-93 D16z6 Into A 90 Si Hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

slammedb18acivic

i know ill be kicking myself in the head later but i currently have a 92 b18a into my 90 si hatch. im looking to put a 92-95 1.6 vtec in the car dont ask why. Im just keeping the motor and selling the car. this is my question can i use??
90-91 si mounts ?
what yr and model number ecu? vtec controler yes or no?
90-91 si linkage ?
90-91 si axles?
what yr trans can i use must be cable remember. thats it just the basics. if anyone has done this swap please get back to me asap

you are going to need the stock 4th gen (88-91) mounts, with the ecu you will most likly need a P28, which is what came with the d16z6. If you are selling the car a VTEC controller is not needed. you will need an 89-91 si or DX tranny, and stock si or DX axels. Any 4th gen civic shift linkage should work possibly exculding the AWD wagon. And last you will need to wire in vtec on this swap, and convert the car to OBD1 or convert the motor to obd0, if you live in Ca. then you need to convert the car to obd1. if you live else where in the country, then you can convert the motor to obd0, and add 5 wires to your current harness and have vtec...

maaseyracer : yo you know how to wire it in. i once did the mini me swap and was told that i can use a shiftlight and tac to hit vtec. i think thats a crock. Also im not located in CA so im not sweating the obd1 thing. There are no rules for swaps in PA. Also, if i wanted to use a vtec controller anyway instead of wiring it would that be all i would need instead of wiring up vtec.

Originally posted by slammedb18acivic@May 7 2003, 10:53 PM
maaseyracer : yo you know how to wire it in. i once did the mini me swap and was told that i can use a shiftlight and tac to hit vtec.

Why is it a crock? You still have a device that flips a switch / produces current at a certain RPM, so you can wire that to your VTEC solenoid instead of another RPM activated switch. It's still an RPM activated switch- it's just got a tachometer attached to it, that's all.

If you are selling the car just find a d16a6 from a 90-91 crx si. It will be less expensive and easier to install becuase you do not have to worry about vtec. Massey is mostly right about the mounts. You will use all of the stock mounts from any 4th gen (except wagon tranny). You can use any of those trannys but the si or dx 5spd is really recommended. You will need to find an L bracket for the drivers side engine mount from an 88-91 civic/crx, the one of the z6 won't work. You can use the rpm switch, a vtec controller, or wire for obd1. Obd1 requires making a harness at the ecu becuase obd0 and obd1 plugs are different. You will need to get a 4 wire o2 sensor and run about 5 more wires to the engine bay. If you wire obd1 you need obd1 injectors, and if you wire for obd0 you need to find obd0 injectors.

Do a search on google for a web site that has ken si in the address. He goes into detail about how to do this swap. I lost the link when my hard drive crashed.

Back