92' Accord Engine Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Manny D.

Hello everyone.
Let me start off by saying that I'm new to owning a Honda and I'm progressively learning more about the make.

I drive: 1992 Honda Accord EX - Automatic Transmission. Stock everything...

I simply had a few questions...

1) What is the most/best compatible JDM engine swap? (Considering fit, swap time, efficiency, etc.)

2) Is the engine compatible with an Automatic transmission? Do they even make engines that for that?

I know this type of information has been thrown left and right throughout the years but I can't seem to put it all together. I've read some contradicting posts and I'm just not sure what to believe.

I greatly appreciate the tips and advice.

An H22 is exactly what you want. It's a drop in, bolt up type of swap that replaces your stock motor and will bolt to your stock transmission (although I'd recommend swapping to an automatic H22 tranny for better gearing)...

Thanks for the input.

Yeah, a dude over at hmotorsonline.com told me the H22 transmissions were hard to find... I don't really know how true this may be.

Well that's cool. So if I get an H22 engine and transmission I should be good to go right?

Oh, and what's LSD? as oppossed to non-LSD?

...OR, this might just sound crazy, but:

Would replacing an automatic transmission be as easy as converting over to a manual transmission? mechanically speaking?

I can understand if it turns out to be a little more complicated but I just wouldn't know if it's worth the time and effort.

...any thoughts?

go to jhotimports.com and they have h22a engine and A/T transmission sets for like 1000 bucks that literally came out of the accord, now as far as replacing the transmission, i would keep it auto unless you really really want to spend some time converting it. but whatever you do good luck man!

LSD = Limited Slip Differential

It helps with traction. Think of it as posi-traction for a front wheel drive application.

As far as converting to manual, it's quite a bit more complicated then just a straight auto-to-auto transmission swap. You need to buy a lot of parts and be pretty mechanically inclined. Search the Accord forums for info, I believe there's a write-up on this with pictures around here somewhere...

I got an H22 from hmotorsonline....they are a good company, i got it fairly quickly, came with everything on it except the two drive belts, but timing belt was there...clean motor and they do a good job...its a direct bolt in, but you will need to send in the wiring harness to hasport or rywire to get it customized for the swap to work with the ECU for the H22 if you want a tranny swap...its not too hard but annoying. you basically have to get new axles, tranny, pedals, and all the hoses and everything else connected to a manual tranny, cut some holes and do some mounting

good luck man

Holy crap.
Talk about some work.
Has anyone personally done it or had it done somewhere?

Thanks dude, I had no idea what LSD was. So it's a good thing, right? hehe.

Oh, another thing I remembered... I know you mentioned the F22 tranny had longer gears. How does that affect having an H22 engine running on a F22 Auto tranny?

Thank you guys.

Yes, LSDs are definitely good things! :D

As for the gearing question, it will effect your acceleration. Shorter gears = faster acceleration. If you pair an F22 tranny to an H22 engine, it might feel a little sluggish in lower RPMs. VTEC motors make their power higher up in the RPM band, so you want a tranny with short gears and a short final drive, the idea being that you want to get to the higher RPMs quickly and stay there between shifts.

The Accord tranny would work fine, it just won't be quite as fun as using the proper H22 tranny...

Oh, i see.
Is the H22 tranny, indeed, hard to find?
Is there an alternative for a short-geared tranny, or is the H22 tranny the only one?

Shooot, it's already sluggish as it is on a F22 tranny & engine. haha.

Maaaan, i need to get this going.

Anyone know how hard it is and apprx. how long it would take to change out the engine and tranny? For a do-it-yourselfer, that is?

The H22 transmissions aren't particularly hard to find. You should just look into buying an entire swap rather than just the motor. That way you'll get everything you need (engine, tranny, ECU, harness, etc.) in one shot rather than having to piece a swap together.

How mechanically inclined are you?

Ah, i see. I see some complete swaps at hmotorsonline.com but they all seem to come with a manual transmission.

Well, I'm no guru.
I like working on cars and stuff. I can perform tune ups and change parts and stuff of that nature but I must say I've never taken on a task as large as removing the engine or transmission. I don't know, it might be easier than I think but I've never done it.

I've also never really messed with mods like turbo or superchargers, or whatever. So whaddya think?

You might want to call H-Motors and ask if they have any auto H22 swaps. Sometimes they can get stuff that's not listed on there site. I've seen lots of auto H22 swaps on other sites (Tiger Japanese Auto Parts LTD - Home for example), but H-Motors is one of the most trusted names for sure.

As for the install, search the web for write-ups (on the H22 swap and motor swaps in general) and see whether or not it looks like it's something you can handle on your own...

Alrighty man.

Thanks for all your help.
I'll def. let you know if I ever successfully accomplish this. haha.

See ya.

Back