92 accord runs rough at startup

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

calmfornow

System Failure Racing
ok so i picked up a 92 accord off of my friend. Has one annoying problem, when you start it up for the first time of the day or if it sits for about an hour it will idle rough and if you even tap the gas, it will try to stall out then rev up to about 1000-1200 rpm, then drop down and do it a few times then go to regular idle if it doesnt stall, after about 5-10 min of running it runs fine....i noticed spark plug tube has small amount of oil in it, but i replaced plugs, and wires and even did it when they were fresh. it has a intake, header, high flow (AKA test pipe), and a cat back system. everything else is basically stock. replaced external coil, checked all vacuum lines and locations. i did notice on my other accord there was a solenoid looking thing that had vacuum lines going to it and wiring by the air filter, but this one doesnt could that be it? any help would be great thanks

did you check the fast idle valve? how about the EACV? how many miles on it? your mods should not interfere with the idle like this. what are the rpms at when you first start it? what about once the fans come on? we need a little more info but i'm glad to try and help

about 160k miles on it....when it starts it goes up to roughly 1100 rpm real quick then goes down to regular idle instantly until i tap the gas, then it does that.....no check engine light...i checked all vacuum lines in the control box and around the intake manifold and they were all there but the one vacuum box that goes near the filter on the passanger side isnt there but is there on the vacuum diagram under the hood, it is a 92 accord dx 2 door, f22a1 , if ya need more info let me know

let me look it up but what is regular idle? you said it falls from 1100. the regular idle if i recall correctlt is 700 rpms plus or minus 50 rpms but i'll look that up to. is this an automatic? or 5 spd?

which one is the filter box on the passenger side you are missing? i'm sorry if i sound lost i kinda am. you know, i have a 91 accord LX that runs clean after a complete rebuild but its not here. i loaned it to my mom for a few days. otherwise i'd go look at it. all i see in the diagrams is the charcoal canister and the control box. you said you have all these? i might need a coffee break but i'm still runing this through my mind. let me know if i am correct in what you have and are missing in the vacuume system but it almost sounds like youre not getting enough fuel for that big pipe at idle. when you open the throttle it wants to stall from too much air, yet at high rpm or when warm, it runs fine. i wonder what it is that youre missin near the filter box. wish my car was here to refresh my memory.

there is a pic i found online of what is missing, and what im talking about

well i put in Intake Control Vacuum Resevoir but nothing came up. that happens sometimes because of some people calling it one thing while others call it something else. vacuum resevoi however did come up but it only had is location. so why not get one from a junk yard and see what happens? when i get my car back this weekend i'll pull the vacuum lines off mine and see what happens. man thats a ruff pic you found online. all my shit looks new under the hood.even the paint is still factory in there and its white. who changed the intake on your car? do you have the stock intake and filter? maybe you can try that and see if it is your pipe

ill have to pick one up, but its wierd, there isnt even the wiring clip for it, dont know why, i think they tucked it away, but yea that will be great it you could try that.

yeah i'll try it when i get mine back but it is weird. have you looked to see if your wire that goes to it is cut? i mean like looked real good? and you do have the correct hood on your car right? it didnt come off a different year car and youre looking at the wrong vacuum diagram? i know i got the same one you have but i wasnt sure if you just glanced at the one i posted here for you and assumed it was the same since they sometimes do look the same as others at a first glance

as far as i know it is the factory hood, and its the only vacuum diagram that is on the car itself. i have to take a look around, because the people that did body work on this thing didnt do the best job on some parts, exterior looks good but thats about it, used to be a show car untill her ex boyferiend layed into it, but yea lol

is there any fine print on your vacuum diagram under the hood? there will usually be a year typed in with the fine print saying "this vehicle meets or exceeds the emmission laws of 1991" or some crap like that but the year is usually there and thats the year of the vehicle.

Back