92 Accord?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92stoccord

Big Member
I'm looking at getting my mom a 92ish Accord (she's driving a 97 geo, it's actually a step up.) It's got typical rust and junk like that. But what really has me concerned is the transmission. It has

P
R
N
D4
D3

D4 is always lit up. No matter what gear you're in. The gear selected will also light up. The issue I'm having is that when you put the car in D4, it takes off in what I assume is 4th gear. When you drop it down into 2 or 1 it will take off in second. To get it to shift up, you've got to put it into D3 or D4. Which again, I believe skips third and bumps into fourth. I talked to someone who seems to think these vehicles had an issue with the shift solenoids? Which are 200 bucks a pop. Anyone have any experience with this? I've checked the fluid, it was a little low but I topped it off with no results. I've never had an automatic. Thanks for the help fellas.

id keep the geo if its a prizm, all they are are toyota corollas, not only that but the 7afe's in them are bulletproof and get stupid mpg's

It's a metro. A shitty one. Problem solved. Changed the computer. She doesn't want it. Who wants an Accord?

Not to sound racist but the Puerto Ricans around here love the 90-93 Accords

I knew I loved these cars for some reason. Its the quarter rican in me. All we have around here are guatemalans. Theyre really great cars minus the shitty bodies on them. If this one was a manual I'd consider keeping it.

hate to bring up an old thread, but I just heard the answer to this question the other day. The capacitors in the TCU go bad over time, and in such they make the TCU go bad. You can either pay out the butt for a corrected one at the Honda Dealership, or get a working one out of a junk yard and do the capacitor repair on. You can try the capacitor repair on the one that is already lighting up D4, but likely it has fried other components in the TCU and will never work properly again. I would do the junkyard, then new capacitors inside the working one for the long term on the cheap repair. :) Hope this helps someone.

There is a youtube video on this problem at:

Back