'92 Civic 4dr D15b7 Into 88-91 Civic 4dr

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Venom800TT

Hey all. Newby here, so please bear with me here. ;)

I'm an equal oportunity gearhead, so while I've been hooking up my '99 Taurus 24v DOHC(quite quick for quite cheap ;) ), I've helped my friends with modding they're EH and EJ Civic's and '95 Accord. While nnone of they're cars have been blazing quick, all of them in the 16-17 second range on base motors, they always had a handling prowess inherrint in the chassis that, even with all the suspension and chassis mods I have in mind, my Taurus will never match with all it's weight and soft tuning. Because of this, I've decided to relegate it to the intended daily driving, with the occasional 1/4 mile pass, and make my self a cheap weekend warrior for AutoX and open track days.

My choice of chassis is based on taste and a handy cheap one. An 88-91 Civic 4dr MTX w/ I beleive a D15B2 with DPFI. A friend has the car and is willing to part with it for only $250. While the car is physically in good shape, the motor is on it's last legs, and that is good for me. That's because my friends old '92 Civic EH 4dr was totaled by some cenial guy running a red light, but the motor, tranny, ecu and everything is still good, and would mearly require being pulled from his reck and dropped into the 88-91 car. The '92's D15B7 MPFI was freshly rebuilt about 5k before the accident, so it's in rather good shape for a higher milage motor(somewhere around 150-160k). This will provide the old civic with 10 more hp, MPFI wich I've gathered is a very good thing, and a better starting point for a minor motor buildup.

The old Civic will be gutted, have a the full gauntlet of suspension, chassis, and brake work done, along with a CF hoof, and any other light weight bits I can find, which should drop the car below 2000lbs. I'm figuring with basic bolt ons the car should make in the range of 120-130 crank hp easily. This should make a for a very capable AutoX and Track day ride, and one that won't embaress itself at the strip.

My question is, what things should I be antisipating, looking out for, needing to upgrade or swap, etc. with this conversion. Keep in mind, the motor sutff I'm trying to keep cheap so I can put 3-4K or more into the handling and stopping stuff. So, please no suggestions for Turbo's or ZC's, etc. Just want to know what potential hassles and needed rewirings, etc. I may have to worry about, before I spend any money on the project. Thanks much for helping this newb with your knowledge everyone. :D

Venom B)

Back