92 Civic B16a Rev Limit Probs

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92 B16 Hatch

I just finished putting a run of the mill first Gen B16 in my92 DX hatch yesterday. Wired the B16 distributor to the DX harness (crank and cyl sensors are reversed between the 2) Running stock P28 ECU, 94 EX injectors, and all the VTEC wires are hooked up, but for some reason the rev limiter is kicking in at 3 1/4K rpm's. It idles fine and runs smooth up until that 3 1/4 grand cut off point. If anybody has any suggestions, please help... I'm running out of ideas.

your ecu is in limp mode.

try another ECU to see if that one is bad, any CELS?? you should have a constant CEL if you are in limp mode.

I tried putting my buddy sean's P30 ECU in but that made it more retarded as it wouldn't even idle anymore, and revving was rough. That ECU is fine because when put back in his 92 B16 SI hatch everything in his car ran great. what could have caused my ecu to go into limp mode?

Also I do have a constant CEL. please tell me there's a way to clear this up...it was a slooow drive to work today :)

Ok, the knock sensor has been a problem from the beginning. I was running totally without it for a few hours and when I figured out it goes to PIN D3 on the harness, I hooked it up, took it up the street and Braaaap...ba...braaap...ba...braaaap -rev limiter again at 3 1/4. Do you think that if I unplug everything / battery, ECU, back up fuse .. that tomorrow morning it will be all set? Also, thanks for you guys' help.

Deleted due to not reading the post right :p

ummm- hes running an obd1 ecu from the sounds of it. so that picture is kinda useles..

we have p28/p30 pinouts in our articles section. check it out.

from the sound of it- if youre rev limiter is hitting at 3500, it sounds like you def wired something wrong.

yea. the constant CEL means a TON of shit is going wrong. what harness are you using? limp mode uses the LEAST amt. of sensors to run the vehicle.

can you pull any codes?
usually when an ECU is chipped improperly it does this, but in your case it souds like you have some shit backwards

you did have to go obd0 to obd1.. how did you accompplish thiS?

Well I threw in the DX ECU that came out of it and still had the same rev limit prob. Right now I'm going to change the fuel press reg. and then if I still have issues I'll suck it up and buy an OBD1 distributor because I have a feeling that's a big part of the prob.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 17 2003, 10:16 AM
ummm- hes running an obd1 ecu from the sounds of it. so that picture is kinda useles..

:( my bad,consider it gone :D

Yup, you guys were right...either way you look at it, wiring an OBD-0 dist to an OBD1 harness just isn't going to work. I threw in my buddy's 95 teg dist. and the car ran great. Thanks for you guys' help.

Back