92 Civic Hood Release

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

turfman

The inside hood release on my 92 Civic is not functioning properly. When pulled it does not "pop" the hood so you can get to the secondary release under the hood. I can pull the release cable all the way and feel some tension from the other end. I can get to the secondary release with my hands but that alone will not open the hood. From what I've read so far there is a screw inside the engine compartment to adjust the tension. Is there any way to get the hood open without using the inside hood release. If not, what would recommend I do about the release cable as far as troubleshooting it and/or replacing it. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

Whenever my hood used to jam, I'd just beat on it. Now that it's got a good paintjob, I just hope it never jams....I never really pop my hood anyways...even though I love showin' off the D15B8 70hp powerhouse...

At any rate, just bang on it. Sometimes the older Hondas just need some...um...'hard lovin''

get someone to hold the cable and then you give a few taps on the front of the hood where the "secondary release" is it should pop up, and i hate replacing those bloody cables!

I thought mine was broken too until I sea foamed the SHIT out of it. Now it works like new. Try cleaning it, those things can get so gunked up that they prevent it from being openable.

Have someone push down on the hood, while you pull on the release cable with pliers. Then once you have the hood open, clean that bitch up with some WD40 or seafoam or something (make sure to hit the part on the hood, thats where mine was most gunked up).

All right, I think the release cable may be FUBAR. I pulled on it with some pliers and it came out about 3 inches or so and now will not go back. Perhaps that or something with the adjustment underneath the hood. In any event, has anyone ever installed a new hood release cable and if so how difficult is it? Both the dealer and independent garage want $150-$200 to install it.

F that. Buy the part. Take the front bumper off. Take the Drivers side wheel well off and do it your self. Its two 10mm bolts on the inside and a grommet, some push in zip ties on te upper frame and two 10mm bolts under the hood portion. Done in an hour hour and a half. :p

I have taken the plastic wheel well out and can see the cable running the length of the quarterpanel. The cable turns 90 degrees at the turn signal and headlight assemblies. I need to take the turn signal ASMY off, what's the best way to do this? I may also have to take the headlight ASMY off as well without being able to open the hood obviously; cna this be done? Again any help would be appreciated.

you in luck I have a new honda oem hood release cable im selling for $15 plus shipping, if your going to replace yours.

Back