92 Civic leaking clutch fluid inside cabin

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRXratedR

i have a 92 Civic DX with a B18B swap. the other day, when i got in my car, the clutch pedal sunk down to the floor, and i noticed (brake) fluid on the floor mat. i checked the clutch reservior and and it was almost empty. i refilled it and then bleed it, it worked fine. but then it did it again. and again, and again.

i've been reading around and researching and i'm guessing its the clutch master cylinder. im not sure its the whole thing itself thats gone bad, it might just be the seal or something. im not too sure. i dont want to have to replace something as a whole when all i might need is a hose or seal or something. help anybody?

Its your slave cylinder, not master cylinder. And if it is leaking into the cabin, take a good look around the booster on the firewall, odds are its leaking in through there. Remove the slave cylinder, its only two bolts, 12mm/14mm if I remember correctly. The seal in the slave cylinder's piston is what causes it to leak through. When you take it off, it should be bone dry between the cylinder and the booster/firewall. Odds are you just need a new slave cylinder.

Its your slave cylinder, not master cylinder. And if it is leaking into the cabin, take a good look around the booster on the firewall, odds are its leaking in through there. Remove the slave cylinder, its only two bolts, 12mm/14mm if I remember correctly. The seal in the slave cylinder's piston seal inside is what causes it to leak through. When you take it off, it should be bone dry between the cylinder and the booster/firewall. Odds are you just need a new slave cylinder.

no dude.......

it IS the master cylinder. (wow ls, stop disapointing me.. lol)

the clutch master cylinder is the cylinder on the pedal side of the clutch line. the slave cylinder is on the transmission.

yeah you need a new one. the seal can be replaced, but it's much much more simple and feasible to just buy a new one. you can pick up a Beck/Arnley one from autozone for about 40 bucks. it's a simple enough swap. seeing as you already know how to bleed your clutch line, you should be fine. pick up a haynes while your there if your unsure.

there is no info within reason that you need to check your brake booster. if it's all clutch pedal issue...yeah, i say disregard that. there is NOTHING that you said that makes me even remotely think it's related to the brake system... [do tell, LS_Vtec]

you can check under the clutch master cylinder tho for fluid leaking (inside the cabin, on the firewall). it's common. i've had it happen to me before. and fixed it.

Last edited:
I cant really pinpoint where the leak is coming from because of all the fluid everywhere. On the clutch pedal and floor mat. Well, since it was leaking fluid inside the cabin, I thought that maybe it could just be the line or bolt or something not on tight. But I should just go ahead and replace the clutch master cylinder? 95 bucks, it cost.

Because my hatch is from Canada, does it matter? I was looking at a site and it had 2 clutch master cylinders, one for the US models "except Canadain". And there was another clutch master cylinder for $7 more and it said made for Canadian. Should I go with the one for Canadian or is there no difference?

Yeah, just an LS. Non-VTEC.. still smash though. You'd be surprised..

Last edited:
no when i said ls, and LS_Vtec, i was refering to the other person that posted, LS_VTEC.

all the clutchlines to that cylinder are on the engine bay side of the fire wall. if you have fluid on the cabin side, then it's deffinatly the main seal of the piston in the clutch master cylinder. so yeah replace the whole clutch master cylinder. i couldnt tell you if there's a difference, sorry

ok cool. thanks for your help. ill find out more about the canadain and us parts difference and buy the correct one so i can drive normally, again. thanks!

Back