92 civic rear disk conv. confusion.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

flydex28

Well I just spent the last hour looking at different posts on this and have confused myself. Ive been wanting to do this conversion and planned to go to the salvage yard next week . From what I gather I am basically looking for a 88-00 civic, or 90-01 integra. to get parts from. I dont think I want the whole trailing arm though because I just changed out my trailing arm bushings out, so I figured I would attempt to get just the spindles. I found this chart on honda tech and now am confused... BrakeExpert's Brake Chart Thread - Civic Brake Upgrades for EF, EG, EK and Integras - Honda-Tech . It says i need the brakes from a 96-97 del sol, or 94-95 civic Si with abs,, or am I just reading that wrong.. Im about to just say screw it. Still not even sure if you need a different master cylinder, brake booster, and proportioning valve. One post was even talking about having to replace, bend, and flare brake lines... ugggh.
My plan was to get all the parts I needed over time. Is there a "shopping list" per say of what you need and works well. I see a lot of people swapping on brakes from various cars in these years and running into all sorts of problems. any help would be appreciated. The local salvage yard for me here is over an hour away so I dont get there often. Thanks.

I guess I am just looking for someone that has done this swap onto a cx like i have with good results. Plus I still have the stock steelies for wheels (not sure if that affects anything). Ive been needing to replace my rear brakes and so I started looking into just going with disks. Now im not so sure..lol. I'll do some more googling this weekend I guess.

id like to help you out, but im not sure if i understand you correctly.... i get the part about wanting to put rear disks on your drum equipped civic... i get that you want to keep your old trailing arms, due to the replacement of the worn bushings... but why would you need brakes from different cars? if you get the spindles/calipers/brackets from an integra, you get the brakes and rotors for that car. if you find an ex disk brake equipped civic, you get them for that car. now depending on how rusty that trailing arm is... will decide whether you get those parts successfully out of the junkyard... oh, and dont forget the e brake cables (never understood why they are called "emergency brakes".. have you ever seen what happens when you pull the parking brake in an emergency?!?!

lol.. i was just under the impression that brakes from the integra or civic would work on my car. I'll probably just look for a 92 thru 95 civic with disks on the back.

Ooooh wait i think i see what your thinking. No I wasnt saying get different brake components from different cars. I think I wrote that wrong. Im basically just wanting the easiest direct fit swap. The way I understand it is if you use an integra as a donor car.. you need to use all the brake components from that particular model of car and same goes for a civic.

The problems I was talking about were .. for instance, I see alot of people use the integra gsr brakes and then find that their brakes feel wierd or lock up because the valve is wrong or something else wasnt switched out. But in my mind since some civics, 92-95, came with rear disks.. then that means that the 92-95 civic would be the best donor car. Also noticed that on the EX, only the ones with ABS have disks, so would that valve be wrong?

So i will go look for a 92-95 civic si and get the rear brakes from that along with the cables. Im not 100% if I need the proportioning valve, master cylinder and brake booster though. Though it looks like its the same part numbers. Also does it matter if its a coupe or hatchback? And do I need to do anything with the front brakes if im just using civic rear brakes? I cant imagine they would be different. Thanks again just want to be sure If I drive all the way there that I get what I need.

Last edited:
I would upgrade the master cylinder to improve pedal feel... Same goes for the prop valve...

Back