92 CIVIC SWAP

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chopluey

OK.....I know its in here somewhere, but one more time for us newbies, please.
What engines do I NOT want to swap into a 92 Civic? Because of ECU, wiring, various headaches, and other problems these swaps create.

So if I follow the link E SolSi provided and don't swap in any engines mentioned, everything else will drop right in, bolt right up, and wire right up......right? Or are there other things to consider as well?

go with something OBD-1 and B series

OBD-2 can be made to work... its not too hard ... i did it in my 93 sol

first thing to decide is what you want to use the car for... whats your budget like... what do you want out of the car

Daily driver. Want power and torque(who doesn't). More of the go and less of the show. I like the "sleeper concept". Don't have an unlimited budget, but can afford a used engine and necessary accessories to make it work.
Not interested in x-box, thumpin bass, mega-watt stereo, dvd, and on and on.....Strictly gear-head stuff. No kids-stuff. If it doesn't make the car go faster and handle better....ain't interested. Not really interested in turbos or nitrous, either.
Don't get me wrong...I appreciate a great paint job. Love a great stereo. Custom interiors are excellent as well. And I take my hat off to all those who strive to have the best of everything. Tons and tons of time and effort and especially.. CASH!!..is needed to put it all together. I just don't have it. I'm just an old knuckle-draggin,gear-head, grease monkey lookin to hot rod my ride. And as far as I can tell, these Honda mods and swaps are what hot roddin has always been, and will always be, about!

Originally posted by chopluey@Jul 14 2003, 04:26 AM
Daily driver. Want power and torque(who doesn't). More of the go and less of the show. I like the "sleeper concept". Don't have an unlimited budget, but can afford a used engine and necessary accessories to make it work.
Not interested in x-box, thumpin bass, mega-watt stereo, dvd, and on and on.....Strictly gear-head stuff. No kids-stuff. If it doesn't make the car go faster and handle better....ain't interested. Not really interested in turbos or nitrous, either.
Don't get me wrong...I appreciate a great paint job. Love a great stereo. Custom interiors are excellent as well. And I take my hat off to all those who strive to have the best of everything. Tons and tons of time and effort and especially.. CASH!!..is needed to put it all together. I just don't have it. I'm just an old knuckle-draggin,gear-head, grease monkey lookin to hot rod my ride. And as far as I can tell, these Honda mods and swaps are what hot roddin has always been, and will always be, about!

I think you got it down man! :D

Anyway, for your civic, an obd1 motor is going to be the most straight-foward swap. For all motor, I would start with a gsr motor. That would give you ample power just from the begining to get your car scootin' along...farily fast. Then as more money becomes available you can either start buliding your motor (pistions, rods, etc...) or if your plans for the car are not so extreme, just do your basic bolt-ons, good ones that is, not some cheap ractive, apc, etc. Then maybe a set of cams (toda, skunk2, etc) Then lastly, some tuning and your golden! It all depends on how deep your pockets are and what your goals are for the end. Hope this helps. :D

Just make sure to start off going 1.8 and you will be happier from the added tq from a stock motor output.

do you want to run Na or FI???

Milan

I dont know about that "Difficult Swap" article its not so much the obd of the motor, if the mounts fit, then all you have to do is run the injectors, distributor and ecu for the obd of your car. in example:

-obd2 B16a2 out of a Usdm Civic Si into OBD 1 92-95 civic-

-scrap the Obd 2 wiring harness, plug in your Obd 1 harness from your 92-95 civic-

-Get p30 ecu, or chip a p28-

-swap injectors and a distributor from an obd 1 b or d series motor-

-shing shang bam, just converted an obd 2 motor to obd 1-

why swap the actual injectors and distributor
you can simply swap the plugs over and it works perfectly and your still running the correct parts for the engine
D series distributors will work but its a total hack job (1 bolt lines up)
you also have to do something about the alternator either swap the plugs or get one for an OBD-1 B series ... D series will not work

Opps, missed that. Anyways since your going NA for the most part I would stick with these motors (jdm ITR, usdm ITR, jdm GSR, usdm GSR, JDM b16, usdm b16) in order also from best choice for NA of course the GSR's don't have as good gearing as the 1.6's but they do have .2 more displacement.

Milan

thanks Milan, appreciate the detail
I assume from your advice I'll be using the transmission from these motors also?
Will the trans from my D15 bolt-up?(manual)
Or, is it always recommended to use the tranny that comes with these motors originally?
Can I get the motor cheaper without the trans, or are they usually included?
Appreciate the help.

B series and D series shit doesnt mix

I'm a old gear head also and if you havent priced these motors yet get ready to be pissed,v8's are cheap :D the best deal is to get a front clip or a full swap.
as far as tranny goes if its a hydro all hydro B series should work[Y21,Y80,S80,S4C...in the reference section] try to stay away from cable trannies

the swap and reference sections on this site are worth thier weight,you should read along w/the FAQ....the most important thing is research,most all the B series motors offer potential but different driving apps have thier preferred set-ups.....read-on and good luck :D

Well the price on the motors go from i assume expensive for some to cheaper, but this car shit isn't cheap, if you want to go quick you pay for it, simple as that. Since your going NA I recommend the jdm ITR motor even if it's out of your budget reason being, it has cams that produce power till9k, great tranny with oem lsd and the 4.7 final drive which you want, along with 1.8 liters and higher compression. A nice option is to drop that bottom end and resleeve with larger pistons and better rods, then you can have a almost 2.0 with great gearing and solid head package that won't tick and start everyday. Without 2k in tuning. :)

Milan

Back