92 civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rex187

ok my friend has a 1992 civic lx sedan. he asked me to do some work on it. well i started it up today to listen to it and the motor sounds fine. it spudered a little bit and the exhaust has a rich smell . he told me a shop told him that the head gasket was blown. but i think the head gasket is fine, the oil is not forthy and cloudy like it would be if the head gasket was blown, the car has plenty of coolent, and ther is no coolent coming out the tail pipe or even the smell of coolent coming out. which leads me to think that the head gasket is ok but i do think that it might running rich. could that make it spuder? dose anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong?

Any check engine light? I did some work on my friends civic because it would spudder and then die. Turns out his check engine light was on and it needed a new O2 sensor. after that was replaced it ran perfectly fine. And to answer the 1st question better yes. If the air/fuel ratio is off, that would for sure cause the motor to spudder and even die. Hope this helps some, Good luck.

What does the water smell like under the radiator cap? Or check it this way, take the cap off of the radiator, have a friend rev the motor while you look at the coolant, any bubbles after he rev's it? could be the head gasket is bad between the cylinder and a water port. Keep in mind you may have some bubbling from the waterpump pushing the water around but you will know if it really bubbles alot versus a small amount, and you will smell exhaust in the water too.

Back