92 F22a6.. Interference or not??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

78civic

Got through looking at tons of threads and am tired..
Belt broke on the wife's accord (well, at least the rotor doesn't move while cranking.) and need to know if it's an interference motor or not..?

I've got TONS of projects to work on and don't need to pull 'another' engine apart.

I think it should be a sticky of what engines will or won't bend all the exhaust valves..

i'm not sure if this motor is an interference motor or not. i have a 91 accord myself but i've never looked at it when i had it apart. why not pull the head when you do the belt? it should only take you another 20 minuits. when i do head gaskets on inline 4 cyliner front wheel drives i pull the head with the exhaust and intake manifolds still attatched. and yes 20 minutes is a real time. replace the head gasket for the hell of it. if its not an interference motor, the price of a head gasket will ease your mind when you go to start it after replacing the timing belt. if it is an interference motor you were going to need a head gasket anyway. you do plan to replace the water pump too when you do this right? preventive maintenance will save you a headache later. maybe you can call a macine shop for a positive answer. i know i would just incase they can shed more light on you issue. they may try to get your head in their shop for a valve job anyway if theyre un-honest, but i would have it done anyway if mine wasnt done in a while. hope i was able to help

I am on vacation this next week and have tons of other projects going on, that's why I'd just rather only plan on it being down for a day or so.
I'm 'up' with knowing what to do on the headjob, just wanted to make it easier.. it's the wifes ride. After 200k she thinks it's not reliable..(??) I said that maybe it's because I'm the only one who TAKES CARE of it!!
I told her to go and buy something new and spend 3-400/month in payments..

And I really didn't want to start another thread but, what about deleting my balance shafts while I'm in there.
I did it on my Mighty Max with a 2.6 and can't tell a difference.

E

yes this is an interference motor. i just confirmed with my machine shop. (everyone was gone last night.) eliminating the balancer belt can probably be done but i've never heard of anyone doing that. probably because honda put it there for a reason and my friends are good mechanics. theyre dealer techs still, ASE certified, mashinists, fabricators, or wyo-tech grads. we tend to just fix the wifes cars like a dealership would do-no crazy mods like eliminating a balancer shaft belt. it take 5 minutes to put it on and at least an hour to think why its there and what might happen if we dont put it on. you will probably want to replace the water pump at this point too. i'd also consider rebuilding the engine too. think about it...its the wifes car. its neglected. from what it needs now doing the blocks internals is not much more-pistons-rings-rods-bearings-gaskets-seals-oil pump-oil pump pick up-core plugs -and machining the block(deck and cylinders) and crank. and your machine shop will even tear it apart and rebuild it for you. all you have to do is pull the motor and trans. this should only take about 2 hours with a buddy. i can do it in under 3 hours myself. the machine shop might even pick it up and deliver it to you. hope this helps you in fixin the wifes car

OH Yeah.. It's an interference motor alright.. NOT the way I had intended on spending a GORGEOUS day.
3 headbolts decided to stay there and for some reason messed up two of my 1/2" sockets. Spent about 2.5hrs drilling the heads off (I had to stop every 15min and resharpen the 3 bits)
Wow, my EGR passage was clogged up! NOT sure how to clean it in the intake..? I don't want to drill that too and then suck in debris later.

And yes, I'll be taking that whole side of the motor off and replacing everything. Maybe pull the pan (drill shavings got down some of the passages), pull the pistons/rods and give it a quick hone w/some cast rings. I'll fedex the injectors off tomorrow and should be getting them back about Tues.
Thanks man, I'll keep ya in my list..

Errol

use little wire brushes to clean the egr passage. the kind that look like bottle brushes. follow it with brake cleaner and wash it out. also clean the fast idle valve on the intake and the screen behind the EACV unit. this is the part left of the fast idle valve on the intake housing if youre looking at it from the fromt of the car. the upper short hose on the fast idle valve runs to th EACV if you need another way to identify this part.

Back