92 hatch steering column??!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bdogggut34

not sure what to call the whole assembly for the sterring wheel, turn signals, and ignition (where the key goes in). Problem is, the whole thing is messed up. Is it possible to completely replace the steering column, along with the wheel and ignition part and get keys made??? The car came from an auction with no keys and its all messed up. Also i need suggestions on places to look for these. i've found a couple oem parts places but havent found anything so far

hope it isn't a stolen car... Is it just the ignition switch that is messed up, or is it the entire column? My ignition switch crapped out on me, I had it replaced by my shop, cost almost $200 for the new switch mechansim and new shiny keys installed, then I pulled the door and latch tumblers myself and had a locksmith key them for $12 apiece. I can't imagine what could be so wrong with your steering column that you would need a new one unless the guy stole the car and messed up the column.

it was a repo car auctioned by a bank. i'm gonna look at it more closely, i havent seen it in person yet, just pics, and my dad said the whole thing is messed up. I'm thinking probly a new switch since it didnt come with keys anyway. Would any locksmith rekey the doors?? $12 a piece seems very reasonable, however $200 for the switch doesnt :angry:

heres the only pic i have of the steering column right now. Dont know if you can tell if it is messed up or not. I'll get better ones as soon as i can

column pic

Well, I can really tell if the column is messed up or not from that picture. What is necessarily wrong with it besides the ignition switch being completely ripped out? Does the steering wheel not turn? Are the turnsignal and windshield wiper levers busted off? If not, I'dsay you are okay. If it is a repo, then the repo men did a nigrig job of unlocking the steering rack to repossess it. If you want a working ignition, there are two ways to go about doing it.

1. Get a new OEM Honda ignition switch. THey are around 150 from dealer, and you probably will have to show proof of ownership to prove you are not stealing the car and just replacing the switch cuz you busted it. You can install a new one yourself, and it might be easier considering the repomen or whoever pulled out the old one for you. If it is still in there, you have to use an easy-out to remove the bolts holding it on, because they are installed using bolts with breakaway heads, for security reasons of course. You can reinstall the new one using the provided new breakaway bolts, or use regular bolts. The new switch will come with a new set of keys, and you will have to pull out the tumblers in the doorlocks and hatch. Any locksmith can do it, they just need to have a tumbler kit for the make of car. Go with a reputable locksmith if you know of one, because you want to make sure your new keys will actually work the locks.

2, You can wire a kill switch for the accesory position and ignition ON position, and use a S2000 starter button to turn over the starter motor. Then you can just go get an uncut honda key off ebay or something, and have it cut to open the door locks. Again, have the locksmith do this for you, and you should only have to take outone of the tumblers to do that.

The first method is the one I'd use for anything but a full race car. It is an extra measure of safety. If you are planning on buying an insane alarm system, I wouldn't worry about the ignition key too much. Just make sure you lock your doors always.

the S2000 idea sounds like a good one, i didnt think of that. Is there a kit somewhere to do this? Also i'm assuming since this is on the S2000 that it is a safe way to start the car, as far as theft goes. This may be something i want to do but as of right now, i dont have a clue as to where to start. If you can give me some direction on where to look it would be awesome. thanks for the idea

The S2000 also has a key, but you just don't turn it that extra amount you normally would. You push the button instead. And yes, they make kits for it. Google it up, or ebay it up or something. Like I said before, it is NOT safe theft wise unless you have an alarm and lock the doors at all times. You could install the kill switch in some weird location so the thief wouldn't know where to turn on the car, but that would get bothersome to me after a while, I'd think. Without a locking ignition, anyone can just flip the swith and push the button.

ok so let me get this straight, the kill switch would just be an on/off switch and then you just push the button? Is there a way to do it exactly like an S2000 and use a key for the switch and then push the button? sorry if i sound dumb but like i said i just now started thinking about doing this

yeah, but I was telling you how to avoid spending the $150+ for a lock assembly. If you want to do that, just add a push starter button to method 1 above. Look to add about $35 or so for a good looking starter button.

Back