92 prelude bogging at low rpms and idle

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DarkmanA

hey there i have a 92lude with the h23A1 motor in it i have recently had a problem with it starting to bog and hesitate while i sit at a light and first start to press the gas peddle but once it gets above 3000 or 3200 rpms it runs like a champ? I have tried plugs wires, ignition coil, checked compression, fuel filter, and i cant figure it out. the distributor is new also the throttle body has been replaced, no check engine light is on and i tried jumping the wires on the eCu also to no avail. some body help me

check the fuel pump (requires dropping the tank making sure the pump is all good) run some fuel injector cleaner, and do a seafoam treatment. if your sure that everything is the way it should be after that, check the main relay (grey box under the steering column) and make sure there are no cracking solder points. i dunno, but this is usually a fuel issue, so thats where id start.

changed the filter already and pulled out the injectors they are in good shape also i tried the plugs wires, ignition coil, the distributor is new and so is the throttle body

only one of the things you listed (injectors) was in my advice. there is another filter in the tank, sometimes fuel pumps start to die, and the bogging thing is a sign.

the main relay is a common problem (but it usually rears its head in the summer) and seafoam is always fun.

it does have a tendency to die right back out when it first is started but once it sits for a min. or 2 it will fire right up. the only thing with the pump being the problem is when i really hhammer the throttle it will run great

also it only seems to bog when the motor heats up. for the first 5-10min. it runs just fine but once the temp heats up to norm. it starts

i had a problem like that and mine was the ignition module.... $110 chip inside the distributor, but you said you changed the distro... i would also check the fuel pump as reikoshea says. i've seen a bad fuel pump cause that too. i wouldn't think it would be the injectors or coil. does it miss at all?

how long has it been since you changed the timing belt? if your belt is gettin warn it may be stretching when it heats up and might be tryin to jump time... that happens and you are screwed!

the car has 160000 on it but the motor was replaced sometime during its life as the vin# says 2.2 but it has the 2.3L in it so im not quite sure when it was last replaced

im about 95% sure this is a main relay issue...same thing happened in my prelude.

for the first 5 minutes or so it ran great...i loved it. and i had a minute of good vtec time. after that it was shit. if i put my foot down in the lower rpms the car just wouldnt move. it took me babying it at about 20% the entire time. Sometimes the car would die at stop lights and id have to let it sit there for a few minutes and then it would eventually start if i let it sit for a while.

i did put a timing light on it and the timing is dead on but that was when it was just starting to warm up. it will also about every 5 sec. or so at idle sound like it misses a cyl.

is there a way to check the relay and see if that is the prob. while its in the car???
or will i have to get a new one and swap them

mine seems to do the opposite tho as soon as i put the petal to the floor the car sputters for a sec and then runs fine once it gets past about 2800rpms

sounds like timing or gas... check the timing while the problem is present. at least that doesn't cost you anything...

will do this seems like it could be a good posibility

Back