92 Prelude Questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hey guys, I'm not that familiar with Preludes, so I have a few questions..

I'm fixing to pick up a 92 Prelude SI with a thrown rod for $500obo. Everything is nice on it besides the motor. Only downside is that it is an automatic, but who cares, it's just going to be a DD.

I was wondering what motor I should swap into it, whether a USDM H23 would be ok, or if I should just go ahead and get the H22 VTEC.

What would be needed to update this car with VTEC? Just a VTEC subharness?

Is there any writeups anywhere for converting these to manual if I decide to go that way?

If any of you guys have any info, let me know!

Hey guys, I'm not that familiar with Preludes, so I have a few questions..

I'm fixing to pick up a 92 Prelude SI with a thrown rod for $500obo. Everything is nice on it besides the motor. Only downside is that it is an automatic, but who cares, it's just going to be a DD.

I was wondering what motor I should swap into it, whether a USDM H23 would be ok, or if I should just go ahead and get the H22 VTEC.

What would be needed to update this car with VTEC? Just a VTEC subharness?

Is there any writeups anywhere for converting these to manual if I decide to go that way?

If any of you guys have any info, let me know!

What motor you should swap in depends on how much you want to spend really. If you want to do an H22, then yes, you'll need to add the VTEC sub-harness. Other than that, it's pretty much bolt-in as long as your H22 is setup for OBD1.

As far as auto-to-manual goes, it's pretty much the same as it is on an Accord. Just do a search for some write-ups, there's plenty out there.

yup prelude = accord, for the most part. As far as what engine to put in, if it's a DD, what ever is the cheapest.

Back