92accord oil in plug

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

calmfornow

System Failure Racing
i picked up a 92 accord and i pulled out the plug wires and wire number one was covered in oil, so i looked in the hole and i see a puddle of oil in the plug hole i was wondering what could be the cause and it runs like crap untill it is warmed up, like if you even tap the gas it tries to stall out, and some times it does. it is a92 dx engine is f22a1

Yeah you just need a valve cover gasket set that comes with the grommets for around the spark plug holes. It's super simple, just pull the five nuts off of the valve cover, turn it over, and use a small flathead screwdriver to pry the ring seals out (grommets). Don't forget to use Hondabond in the four corners around the cam caps. You'll notice four sharp corners where the valve cover gasket (big ring gasket that goes around the outside) meets the head. Just a pea sized amount in each corner will do the trick. Unfortunately once you get oil on the plug wires they generally swell really bad and try to come apart. To get rid of the standing oil, by the way, pull that plug out and spray some brake cleaner down in the hole and try to clean the tube out if you can before putting the plug back.

If you are really on a tight budget and you don't want to drop $30 on a valve cover gasket, you can pull the cover, and if the plug tube seals aren't shot (ie falling apart) then you can wipe them down really good with a shop towel until they're dry, clean with a little brake cleaner, and just Hondabond them. It will be a minor mess later if you decide to go back and do it right, but it's cheap for now and solves the problem. So there you have the "official proper repair" along with the broke ass shadetree approach. Good luck whatever you decide :)

thanks...i know these cars in and out but didnt see that before, i figured it was that, the seal was good looking, but i put a new one in, is it safe to let the oil in the cylinder because the plug is still in, nd if i take it out the oil will drop into the cylinder, so i dont know thanks for the help

thanks...i know these cars in and out but didnt see that before, i figured it was that, the seal was good looking, but i put a new one in, is it safe to let the oil in the cylinder because the plug is still in, nd if i take it out the oil will drop into the cylinder, so i dont know thanks for the help

Eh, it's a relatively small amount of oil even if it does get in the cylinder- but if it were me I might pull the wire out, and with the plug still in, use an air hose to blow some oil out. Then chase it with a heavy amount of brake kleen. Leave it alone for a few, then pull the plug, and you'll be getting almost no oil if any at all down into the cylinder.

And I am not 100% sure it's impossible for those tubes to leak where they are pressed/screwed into the head- you say you know these things inside and out, do you know how the tubes are secured? Despite pulling motors and transmissions and doing pretty serious work, I really have steered clear of engine internals like disassembling heads.

Back