92dx swap.. d block blown away..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

misbah

ok i guess i had to learn on my own, but yes, the swap is more cost effective, and ill be starting with a much better block after the swap is done..if i have any money left over to build it. anyone who replied in my engine building posts, pissedoffsol, etc, feel free to insert "i told you so" anywhere. moving on though ill give more background. i have/had 8k. i bought a 92dx for 3k. i have 5k left. this is for the block and the swap. i intend on installing it my self, i think im capable. ive swapped engines before on other cars. i looked through the info and sites n such n came up with these three candidates..

b16a3,b17a1,b18c1. (usdm, obd1 b blocks)

i cant find the b16a3 online anywhere, lots of a2's and sir II's, but no a3.
so that leaves me w/ the b17a1 and the b18c1.

the best prices i could find from reputable places are 3200 for an obd1 gsr motor from hmotors, and id prob pay the extra 300 for the s80(lsd) instead of the y80. comes w/ the p72 and shafts n shift linkage n all. w/ shipping im thinking 4k? after that i have 1k for either the block or bolt ons.

i found the b17a1 at sohfast for 3000. just as complete, no lsd trannys for that engine though. p61 ecu, ys1 tranny, nice set up as well. after that id have maybe 1.5 k after everything was set to go. a little more for the bolt ons i guess, or the block, whichever i invest in first.

my question is the power output for those engines is similar, and the aftermarket is about the same, i can get good parts for both. which one do u ppl suggest? just to let you know, whatever i put in this car, and drop in with the left over cash is what ill be riding around in for a while, the next amount of cash will b slowww.

edit: goal of car is a fast mostly street/some track car, NA.

Originally posted by misbah@Jul 7 2003, 09:38 PM
anyone who replied in my engine building posts, pissedoffsol, etc, feel free to insert "i told you so" anywhere.

:lol: told you so. lol. ohh well...

if you can't find a b16a3.... you sure as hell aren't going to find a b17a1. I bet the one at sofast is already gone. that's even rarer, and sofast rarely updates his site.

The b18c1 gsr is a great motor. I would've recommend that over the other two anyway.

4000 shipped + lsd sounds about right- gives you 1000 for i/h/e if you get like a used intake or something.

Back