'93 Civic Si (Hatch) Goes Two - Seater

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Canned

Hmmmm. I hope this is in the right category. Either way, here goes --

I've got a 1993 Civic Si Hatchback. Completely stock (don't worry, I plan on doing some serious engine work + a nice turbo kit to go with the D16z6, or a full out swap. More of that to come later. :) So, here I've got my three door hatch with this back seat bench, right?

Right.

I was pulling them up and down this afternoon, as I moved some stuf out of the trunk, since they fold down and all that... and I was thinking: What if I took out the back seats and gave myself some good room for new speakers, subwoofers etc.?

So, here's my question:

Would it be possible to - without spending a great deal of cash - pull out both the back and bottom area of these two seats/bench? What's under the seats and can it be worked on?

Just wondering what all this would involve if I went through with it, and how difficult it would be for such a n00b. :D

A metal floor is under the bench seat. And i dont know what u mean by "can it be worked on?" But you have a hatch and hatchies are great for subs. They have no trunk so less restriction of sound into the passenger area. Also if u put a system in and u have no back seats i think it would be really prone to get stolen :ph34r: . But thats just my .02 :D

subs are gay and slow down the Turbo D16Z enigne... just spend it all on a paht body kit and some phat chrome wheels.

Originally posted by SpodaB1@Apr 12 2004, 08:19 PM
subs are gay and slow down the Turbo D16Z enigne... just spend it all on a paht body kit and some phat chrome wheels.

:lol:

Alright Canned, I have a 4th gen 89 hb that I did this to. I remove the seat and the spare tire with that saggy fiberboard floor and the carpet and replaced it with a custom box that fits in the spare tire cavity and creates a false floor that only stands an inch and a half taller than the stock fiberboard did. Then in place of the seat I built an amp rack that stands at the same height as the old seat and the new false floor box. All are covered in padded black vinyl and the top of the amp rack has two Chrome PPI amps recessed behind it. I then cut a piece of carpet in black instead of that nasty grey color
that covered the spare and fastened that between the amp rack and the box. The key to this setup is you can't see the subs because the flap of carpet hinges from between the rack and the box and covers the subs.

Subs don't work on the same principles as highs and mid range components. You can triangulate highs and mid range from the corners of the car so that you hear them equally from any area in the car but highs and mid range don't work in a trunk because sound doesn't turn corners oor penitrate solid objects very well. Subs aren't affected by this. If you triangulate a pair of subs they will cancel each other out. To show you what I mean, fill up a mixing bowl or a sink with water. Drop a pebble from your left hand and your right hand at the same time from opposite sides of the basin. This will create separate sets of ripples and when the sets meet in the middle of the basin they will cancel out. Bass is not directional it goes throught objects. In the setup I mentioned above I am running two JL audio w3's facing straight up out of a sealed box through the carpet. Since they fire up and down, the shock absorbers of the car and the air inside the box cancel out the downward motion of the speaker and when it fires up the speaker creates a vaccum inside the box, because it is completely sealed the vaccum reduces the movement to almost none. Where does energy go when you Cancel it on the top and the bottom? Answer is: through everything. I have functional side scoops on the out side of the car made from a fiberglass mold. the scoops cool the rear brakes and also direct air to the amp rack on the inside of the car so under max load on the subs with no breaks, I have yet to blow a sub in 4 years.

The fact that none of the box or amp rack components stand any taller than stock seat bottom or the false floor in the spare tire well. leaves your center of gravity so low it will still corner like a porsche.

If you want to see pics I can email them to you. B)

Back