93 Cx engine swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Nymos

I am at the point i need to change the engine in my cx,. Now the stupid question is is it worth it to buy a 99 accord ($200) that's smashed in the back end and make the motor fit or find something else? From what I found it's a 2.4 (far larger than the 1.5 in mine now) but as for whats needed and how much modification is required i don't have a clue. It's still going to be a daily driver but do want to have fun at the drag strip.

Why not do a B-series swap? You can do a swap for about $2500-$3000 for an LS, and you would be happy with the results. And if you weren't, boost isn't far behind that.

I am at the point i need to change the engine in my cx,. Now the stupid question is is it worth it to buy a 99 accord ($200) that's smashed in the back end and make the motor fit or find something else? From what I found it's a 2.4 (far larger than the 1.5 in mine now) but as for whats needed and how much modification is required i don't have a clue. It's still going to be a daily driver but do want to have fun at the drag strip.

Not worth it. The engine is a 2.3 actually, and it's not exactly a bolt-in swap. You would need to either do some cutting and fabricating to make the Accord's transmission fit, or you'd need an expensive adapter plate to hook it up to the Civic's transmission. Plus, your engine bay is going to get a bit crowded, and you'd have to do an OBD conversion. Like I said, not worth it.

I'd either go for a VTEC D-series engine, or, like George suggested, look into a B-series motor...

If your gonna go for a b series, check your local car yards, if their not to picked over you might be able to find a whole swap out there for 400-500 dollars, but if you got 2500, hit up some hmotorsonline and order yourself some b16 swap. If i was really in your shoes though, ide take that cx, rebuild that cute little 1.5 keep it stock as hell and make it clean as hell. Always makes me excited to see a cute clean hatch.

^ Cute? Thats cute.

Anyway, to the OP:

Look into a B-Series swap if you're looking for something that is semi cost-effective and is easy to do. If you are really tight on cash do as suggested above and mod your stock D-Series.

i have a cx hatch as well an i found a d16z6 w tranny for 300 put another 50 in to it for the wiring harness an swapped it out in a weekend or you could just look in to a d16z6 head (mini me) p28 ecu all you would have to do is pin out you ecu for vtec an youd be in it. Both are a direct bolt on/in

Thanks for all the info. I gave up on the accord. I am currently trying to talk a guy into selling me a (i think 94-95 ) integra (don't know what model) but it's the whole car for $200- $300. it was rolled the body is shot but the suspension and motor and tranny are there and are supposed to work good.

Back