93 ej2 with a b18b1--- head swap questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

derk93ej

first off im a new member and new to the honda game.
i got 93j2 with a b18b1 swap.

already posted before how my first attempt at doing the HG job failed
cause of missing head bolts and it being warped. ( i cheaped out and suffered for it)

so im at it again, got the head off today, going to machine shop tomorrow to be resurfaced, i got a couple questions for whom ever has done this job before.

1.the rocker arms ( i took them out of the head )
is there a specified way to reinstall them? and should i do a valve adjustment?
also thinking i may need a valve job, so they seat better

2. valves, mine are pretty dirty from detonation, how can i get them clean. and should i replace my valve seals. <-- can those cause compression leaks?

3. head bolts. i got some arp's this time around, how should i prep the threads on the block for the new studs.. ive read about chasing the treads.. how do i get the proper size tap?

im hoping doing this the right way this time everything goes together better and actually starts up and runs.. previous problem was i wasnt getting enough compression in cyl 4.. did a test and 4 was a no go.. but a mechanic said its most likely the head.. so my valves are leaking.

1) rocker arms - if it were me, i would have numbered them and ordered them when taken out of the head so that they would have gone back in the exact same spot. however, since you have removed them, i just read here: B18 Rocker arms - HomemadeTurbo - DIY Turbo Forum that there are marks for designating which ones go where. you can put them in wherever, and then adjust the valves.

2)wire brush, and some cleaning solvent that is rubber-friendly.
yes you should replace your valve seals while you are having this done.

3) there isnt a need to clean up the threads for the bolts unless one of them is crossthreaded/gunked up. you have the bolts, so you are able to get a tap if needed. the thread size and such is listed on the bag i believe.
also, use the ARP lube they give you, and torque it to the specs they give you.

Back