93 GS Integra to 88 CRX DX/Standard Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

88CRX

I am doing a 93 GS Integra motor swap into my 88 Crx Dx/Standard. I'm converting everything over except I'm confused about the solenoids that both cars have in the cluster with the MAP sensor. The Crx's engine only has the Purge cut-off solenoid. Yet, the integra has both the Purge cut-off solenoid and the Fuel pressure regulator cut-off solenoid. What do I do? I was told to transfer the map sensor and solenoid from the Crx and plug it to the GS motor because of the wiring differences. But, then the integra engine won't have the Fuel pressure regulator cut-off solenoid. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm running into more problems as I go along. Everything went great until I tried dropping it in. The mounts from HA Sport barely even lined up! I had to take the front stock mount off. There's no way that can be used. It took me two to three hours just to get the bolts through both sides, and 3/4 through the rear mount, using prybars and a sledge. I've about had it. It's just great how everybody says how straight forward a b18a1 engine swap is, without actually doing it themselves. I should have just went with a ZC or D16Z6. They're supposed to use stock mounts and bolt right up. This B18a1 is almost too tight of a fit and is quite the patience tester. I'm going to dread if I ever need to pull this engine back out.

As for people not responding, I guess nobody knows the answers to questions that aren't in a book.

I'll let you know if mine runs. I took my Crx MAP sensor/solenoid and hooked it up to the b18a1.

I am doing a B18A1 in my 91 CRX DX and used Avid mounts and they lined up pretty good. The front mount cant be used with any mount swaps as far as I have read. A buddy of mine did the same swap as you and tryed the crx solenoids and the can ran like shit.He then used the integra ones and it was fine but i havent seen him to fine out how he wired them in. I am trying to figure that out as I need to use my 93 integra ones also for my B18 swap. I will try to fine out and let you know.

Yo 88CRX, You must be doing something wrong with that swap dude, Because When I did my swap, Everything just went right in, I had no problems whatsoever.

1.You dont need the front mount anyway, You never need that on a B-Series motor in a CRX.

2. Did you remember to bang out the firewall where the alternator sits????? If you dont do that then your alternator wont have enough clearance to spin freely.

3. Do you have new front wheel hubs??? You need integra or CRX si front hubs, The B-Series Axles wont fit through the DX hubs.

4. As for the solenoids, I did not have to change any of that, All I did was T off a couple vacuum lines and the motor runs fine.

Any Other Questions, I GOT ANSWERS.

Originally posted by CReX123@Oct 4 2004, 10:16 AM
Yo 88CRX, You must be doing something wrong with that swap dude, Because When I did my swap, Everything just went right in, I had no problems whatsoever.

1.You dont need the front mount anyway, You never need that on a B-Series motor in a CRX.

2. Did you remember to bang out the firewall where the alternator sits????? If you dont do that then your alternator wont have enough clearance to spin freely.

3. Do you have new front wheel hubs??? You need integra or CRX si front hubs, The B-Series Axles wont fit through the DX hubs.

4. As for the solenoids, I did not have to change any of that, All I did was T off a couple vacuum lines and the motor runs fine.

Any Other Questions, I GOT ANSWERS.
[post=398007]Quoted post[/post]​

First off, I might not be doing anything wrong. So, please chill out with the accusations. I'm pissed off enough as it is.

1. I unfortunately figured that one out soon enough.

2. The crank and alternator clear fine.

3. I'm just trying to help clear things up for you and everybody about this. I have a 1988 Crx Dx and the 1993 Integra Gs B18A1 axles do fit through the Dx hubs. I wouldn't have said that if I didn't actually do it myself.

4. We have to change something. The dx only comes with a purge cut-off solenoid (It doesn't have a fuel pressure regulator cut-off solenoid as the b18a does.) The wires on the crx won't plug into the b18 solenoid cluster, because, the b18a has an extra solenoid.

I'm still working on getting the rear engine mount bolt through the rear engine mount. It doesn't look like anybody got into a front accident on it to bend or shift anything. I'll have to check closer. The motor sits back about an 1/8th of an inch too far right now. That is a lot considering the engine won't move when I tied a rope around the engine and tried pulling it forward with another vehicle. (I started to pull the car with it.) This is after the hell of trying to get the left and right mount bolted up.

I might go out and try messing with this some more. If I get fed up with this too much more, I might sell the project.

have you tried the axles through the hubs because you you usually have to change them as for the map sensor i used one out a 91 integra and wired the purge valve and map sensor in to my ecu

this may not help but it may

oh my swap was a 93 ls into a 90 dx there may be small differeces between the 88 and the 90 but im not sure the thing is the ls that i am using i pulled out of a 88 dx and it came out fine it was mounted with hasport motor mounts and every thing but it is running and running good i dont know if the map and purge valve matter but like i said i used one out of a 91 integra and just wired them together(wires on map to the wires on the purge valve) then used connected the two wires to the plug from the dash harness. it works great

Those Axles dont fit in ANY DX's. Your either just lying or your car already got the hubs swapped. And no need for tissues man, I wasnt making any "accusations", I was just trying to help you out, not hinder you.

Did you bang out the firewall AT ALL???? Because you have to do that for all B-Series swaps into CRX's. And how can you tell if there is clearance for the alternator if you dont have the motor in all the way????

As for the mounts, Do you have both the side mounts in all the way????? If not then thats probably why the backs not goin in all the way.

Originally posted by CReX123@Oct 4 2004, 01:59 PM
Those Axles dont fit in ANY DX's. Your either just lying or your car already got the hubs swapped. And no need for tissues man, I wasnt making any "accusations", I was just trying to help you out, not hinder you.

Did you bang out the firewall AT ALL???? Because you have to do that for all B-Series swaps into CRX's. And how can you tell if there is clearance for the alternator if you dont have the motor in all the way????

As for the mounts, Do you have both the side mounts in all the way????? If not then thats probably why the backs not goin in all the way.
[post=398073]Quoted post[/post]​

Me? Lying? Go shoot yourself. It's stupid kids like you that shouldn't be posting. It's a 1988 STOCK CRX DX. The drive axle ends on the DX and the INTEGRA are the same. Sorry to make an ass out of you, Mr. Know-it-all.

The swap is done. It runs good without the fuel-pressure regulator cut off solenoid. It would probably be a good idea to close off the lines, or to leave that solenoid connected. If anybody has any questions, and wants real answers, ask away. I just completed a 1993 B18A1 to 1988 CRX engine swap for the most part.

Dx hubs will fit the Integra axels!! And I didnt have to beat my frame rail in to clear the alt if fit perfect and spins free. So that is not the case.

Hey 88CRX,
How did you wire the solenoids to the crx wiring?
and dont let your project get the best of you hang in there.

Originally posted by RavunousCRX@Oct 4 2004, 07:26 PM
Dx hubs will fit the Integra axels!! And I didnt have to beat my frame rail in to clear the alt if fit perfect and spins free. So that is not the case.

Hey 88CRX,
How did you wire the solenoids to the crx wiring?
and dont let your project get the best of you hang in there.
[post=398222]Quoted post[/post]​

Hey Rav. Thanks man. It was kicking my ass there for awhile. I had to take out the lower two engine bracket bolts and rock the engine back and forth a few times until the hole slid down into place and lined up with the rear engine mount. The whole process of putting that motor in by myself was definitely an experience.

I used the stock crx purge cut-off solenoid and map sensor only. So, the wiring plugged right up with the wiring already in the car. The fuel pressure regulator solenoid is not being used.

Originally posted by RavunousCRX@Oct 4 2004, 08:11 PM
Thanks Dude, I put mine in myself so I feel for you
[post=398242]Quoted post[/post]​

Np man. Well, at least I won't be surprised at what to expect if I ever try to put another one in again.

I have a question for you Rav. Did you do a b18 swap? And, if you did, could I ask how you did the header/downpipe connection to the catalytic converter? I was thinking that it might have to be cut and welded. If you have any tips, I'd appreciate it.

I am doing the B18 swap currently and it looks like the crx D15 down pipe will work and fit on the B18 and bolt right on the converter. But I havent got that far yet.Finishing the wiring right now.
I was going to get a nice header for mine and put in the AVID torsion front bar so it will give me more room.

Originally posted by RavunousCRX@Oct 4 2004, 08:31 PM
I am doing the B18 swap currently and it looks like the crx D15 down pipe will work and fit on the B18 and bolt right on the converter. But I havent got that far yet.Finishing the wiring right now.
I was going to get a nice header for mine and put in the AVID torsion front bar so it will give me more room.
[post=398251]Quoted post[/post]​

Ah. Ok. Thanks for the reply.

I compared headers and downpipes from the d15 and b18. My b18 header is larger, and the downpipe is a 2-1. The d15 header is smaller, and the downpipe is only a single pipe. Plus my d15 has the o2 sensor in the header instead of on the downpipe like the b18's. So, I'm out of luck there. I just thought I'd ask.

I took the car down the road earlier this evening, with just a header. :lol: It was so loud I couldn't even hear my tires spinning. Just to give you something to look forward to, I was just creeping down the road, floored it, and I had no traction in first gear. When I let the clutch fly for second, I was afraid to give it gas right away because the car shifted.

On an ending note, with the fuel pressure regulator solenoid, there is tubing that goes into it on the side, and tubing that goes out from the bottom into the back of the intake. Just to be safe, I'd probably either keep the solenoid connected, or, connect the tubing that goes into the side of that solenoid, straight into the intake. That's how the d15 looks. The tubing on the d15 just has no solenoid and goes straight into the intake. If you have anymore questions, or anybody, feel free to ask. I'll be glad to try and answer them as best as I can.

i swapped a B16A into a 91 hatchback DX and you are right the rear mount is the biggest bitch about the swap. As for mister know it all swap master CRex123 he is wrong about the dx hubs they are the same it is the civic standard and crx HF that the hubs need to be changed in. and your fuel pressure cut off you really do not need it the only time it activates is when your motor is overheating but if you want to put it in get the whole braket and sensors from a 90-93 integra and cut off the wires so you have both sides of the plug then cut the wires to your purge sol and wire that one in and the run your own wires for the FPCOS the us the braket you got from the teg and the one out of your car together to make one i hope this will help

Back