93 hatch back swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

thewizzard

i'm new to all of this know a little from what i've read on this site as well as other on the net. and can't figure out which swap would work best for a daily driver but something that would run pretty good numbers on the weekends. i was considering either the b18c5 or the b16asir2. whats the main difference between this motors and what do you all think would fit better. stroker kit,turbo, or both. tring to get a descent runner but drivable. what motor, what transmission, and what kind of mods should i check into???

hey wizz whats up.....welcome......first things first how much money do you have in your pocket..then think about what motor you can buy...i would buy an ls change over and later go vtec...... but if you want a motor that will never be opened and you want to go NA then an ITR swap is for you but i would not recomend it because its cheaper to build a gsr to itr spec .....also an lsvtec is better than a gsr (my2c)...... i dont recomend a b16 unless you get an ls/crv block later

if you plan on boosting get a gsr(b18c1), if you are going to stay NA get an ITR(B18c5). just .02

just get a GSR swap and call it a day
its a good all around engine
you can get it with an LSD (JDM)
plenty of potential for NA or FI later on

B18C GSR is a win-win. more potential than the B16 and mildy built can run pretty quick, at least that's my opinion, but if you got the money, go type r.

i think i'm gonna go with the gsr swap. what kinda mods should i look into first, i do want to turbo the car. what are my options

welp the first thing you need to do is figure out a budget and plan your mods out
if you plan to go turbo then dont waste money on dumb shit like an intake and header (these will be thrown away or sold for significantly less money when you decide to put the turbo on)
my advice is to get the swap, get it in the car, drive it as is while you get your shit together to turbo it

friends don't let friends get to little displacment! i wish i would of had someone tell me that before i got a b16 engine :angry: now i want to upgrade to an lsvtec so don't waste the money get the b18c5 and call it a day worth every penny and all you can do is build from there and still be fast out the box

consider a skunk2 IM, headers, and an intake. CTR cams would really help, but you'll also need an FPR to balance the mixture. An upgraded ECU would help alot too. these are the most basic steps for a fun daily driven car.

i'm gonna go with the gsr swap, from what i'm reading its a direct swap, is this true???? and what parts will i need for this? type r piston and head a plus or waste???

there is a full how to in the swap articles section
as for the head and pistons, if you are planning to turbo it eventually i wouldnt bother
if you are planning to stay all motor there are better options for pistons and money would be better spent on modifying the stock head

i live in north carolina anyone know of any good shops around in nc,va, or sc? don't wanna travel to far outta state???

thinkin of the gsr swap with a jackson racing supercharger, reading and talking to people say super charger i wouldn't have to worry bout the turbo lag cuz super charger of the crank shaft itself always spolling up. and people are shotting the engines with nos for the turbo lag, don't know if that is the path i want to you, so would the supercharger be better for me???? and what kinda of boost levels can i run with a supercharger??? any mods needed before putting the charger on??? read something saying to stroke the motor first and put longer rods on it for higher boost levels? this necessary for a daily driver who only wants to run 9-15lbs boost? thanks for your input

Originally posted by thewizzard@Feb 28 2005, 11:45 PM
thinkin of the gsr swap with a jackson racing supercharger, reading and talking to people say super charger i wouldn't have to worry bout the turbo lag cuz super charger of the crank shaft itself always spolling up. and people are shotting the engines with nos for the turbo lag, don't know if that is the path i want to you, so would the supercharger be better for me???? and what kinda of boost levels can i run with a supercharger??? any mods needed before putting the charger on??? read something saying to stroke the motor first and put longer rods on it for higher boost levels? this necessary for a daily driver who only wants to run 9-15lbs boost? thanks for your input
[post=467444]Quoted post[/post]​

Doubt you are going to get 15 psi reliably out of a JR supercharger. You stock internals DEFINTELY wont handle that daily. You have more potential with a turbo kit, but yes you are correct that there is no turbo lag with the supercharger. I have a buddy with the JR pushing 10psi on a built d16. 10 psi rock holes through ALL of his pistons but 1, so we put in srp's. When you start dealing with boost you also need to consider your ecu chipping, timing retard, and fuel modifications.

Back