93 Hatch with B18C, need sterring pump

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

glen911

I picked up a 93 civic Si with the B18C conversion but they did not install a power steering pump and it's a bear to turn. What PS pump will work in this car?

Thanks,
Glen

The motor is a 98 B18C and it has the lower mount for the PS pump. I have heard that a stock 93 civic pump will not work so I need some advice on what should work in this motor/body configuration. I would like to pick up a pump this weekend but I would prefer not to doing the trial and error method since there is a wealth of knowledge in this form.

Is there any other options as B18 parts (like the pump) are hard to find around here

Get a 92-95 rack and pinion set up (instead of the P.S. set up you have now)
This will let you steer easier (b/c the P.S. gears are harder to turn then non-P.S. gears)

I think the DX of any 92095 will work (but not sure about the 4-door....but i think its ok)

Thanks for the help, I will go parts shopping this weekend for the pump. I'm new to the Honda's as I picked this car up from a friend of my son's for $ 500.00 (he needed the cash bad).
I think he did the conversion as the O2 wire extention was done using "speaker wire". I will be searching the site for all the other mods that must be done as I want to go back over everything he did and make sure it's done right.
Must say it sure goes like s#*&.... but I'm not sure how much I'm willing to invest right now, my wife is laughing at me for having this little hot rod but I think it's a neat machine (once all the speaker wire is removed for the engine bay).
Regards,
Glen

93 Si for sure? Nice find for $500 with a B18C1...cleaned up and running good...its worth 6-8 times that easy (to the right enthusiast) But I see where you're coming from now.

To start figuring out how it was done....I would check the ECU Under the passenger kick panel (carpet)
the ECU
is under it. Loosing the mounting bolts if you need to in order to see the part # It will be the section
in the part # that starts with "P"

It should be one of these ECU's
P28 the ECU your car came with for the D16Z6 it works but would need a chip for the swap
(and need a dyno/tune for air/fuel ratio tweaks)
P72 is for your B18C motor and is best one for a lightly mod'd B18C1 (in my opinion)
P30 for a B16A (like mine) will work fine

Also look at the block where it connects to the transmission by the exhaust manifold. See what is stamped/engraved on the block.
It will tell you what the bottom end is and if its JDM or USDM

If your hatch has Si wiring (VTEC) then wiring added for the swap should be pretty easy. If it has
a P30 or P72 ECU...it needs a knock sensor ran to the ECU (D3 on the ecu pin out chart). If it has a
chipped P28...most likely has been programed to not read the Knock Sensor and its bypassed. If it has
a P72 it also needs the IAB solenoid wired to A17 but a P28 can bypass that too.

Hopefully someone can chime in and tell you if the Power Steering pump has to be for a GSR B18C1
or if any 94-01 Integra P.S. pump will work?
I would think anyone will work. I have power steering and A/C in my swap but in hind sight...I would have
rather ran
a non-powersteering rack and pinion set up and lost some weight....but still could turn it. I had an LS swap
with no pump in it for a long time (10yrs) so the change to rack and pinion would have probably felt like power steering.

You can check out my swap link at the bottom of my message.

The speaker wire isn't horrible...just janky lol easy fix. He probably used the D16Z6 wire harness that came
with the Si and extended O2 lines, VTEC solenoid lines and VTEC oil pressure. Thats what I did.

Here's a few links that werre given to me when I was searching for electrical wiring issues.
Thanks to "92b16vx"

http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/wiring/wiring.92-95.jpg
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/wiring/obd1.pin_removal.jpg
.:FFS TechNet : OBD1 ECU Pin out Schematics :.
https://hondaswap.com/general-tech-articles/how-wire-vtec-40811/ (his own write up)

2 options=

assuming all other parts are there:

1-get a pump for a b18
2-hasport makes a converted mount to use with a d series pump

Option 2 will cost more.
I have a 95 civic with a b18c. I bought the mount so I wouldn't have to open my power steering lines when I did the swap. You can buy them from most auto parts stores, junk yards, or even ebay auctions for cheap.

Wow Thank you for all the support. I will be doing lots of research with the help of the links from CARFOG and the rest of the time will be my head under the hood!!
As for the speaker wires, they were just twisted & taped; not a long term connection.

I think the Haspot mount sounds like a good way to go, I can find lots of d series parts locally.

Thanks again!!

Wow Thank you for all the support. I will be doing lots of research with the help of the links from CARFOG and the rest of the time will be my head under the hood!!
As for the speaker wires, they were just twisted & taped; not a long term connection.

I think the Haspot mount sounds like a good way to go, I can find lots of d series parts locally.

Thanks again!!

yeah almost positive the integra pump will work. The difference is the adjusting bolt hole is in a diff location. You can even go on advanced auto parts website and they have many pix posted of the pump. Oreilly auto parts does too

opps...reread your post. And no edit button. Your call on the route you go. The hasport mount is like $120 I think. Good luck

I want to see some pics of the car! If yo found an Si with a B18C for $500.....I want to see it for sure!!

I will take some tonight after work and see if I can post them here.

I did find a power steering pump from a B16 so I'm going to see if it will fit either tonight or tomorrow (once I get time).

Just put your pics on a site like photobucket.com and then paste the http on the reply by hitting the icon that looks like a mountain.

Back