93 mirage es wheel bearing??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TurboMirage

That’s how you get ants
VIP
well since noone on the mirage board really has a clue, im going to ask you guys.

i posted this april 30.

ocassionally ill get this grinding noise, but only while accellerating. if i let off the gas, it dissapears. it sounds like its coming from the passenger side, and its hardly audible.

weird enough, it only happens between 20-30mph. driving is still very smooth. on the highway, the wheel does not shake at all. braking is still fluid. besides the grind, there are no ill effects on driving at all.

the only thing i can guess is its a wheel bearing. :rolleyes: i checked to see if my plastics and mudflaps were rubbing. i figure tonight ill pull the car into the garage and look to see if my brake guards are rubbing on anything (mind you i have 00LS brakes) and see what i can find. the only other thing i can think to do is bleed my brakes.

since ive had tons of brake trouble with this car before upgrading, ive been mindful to check the heat coming off the center of the wheel. each side is equally warm, not cold, and definately not hot. im guessing this is fine.

for rotors im using powerslots, and hawk hps pads.

i do know the synchros need to be replaced in the tranny, but up until about 600 miles ago i never heard this noise. im going to see if something is loose when the car cools down. if it was something serious im sure the wheel would have fallen off by now.

the noise doesnt get louder or softer. it just comes and goes.
---
posted may 1...

anyways, i got under the car and checked my torque specs to my book and everything was dead on.

the car doesnt pop out of gear or grind when i shift, and the noise is in any gear during those speeds.

the car performed EXCELLENT at autox today. im currently in street mod due to my head mods, and i turned a few heads.
---
posted may 2

yeah so i guess its getting worse.

i can hear it during engine breaking, and slightly during coasting.

for the hell of it, i just bought a new wheel bearing. when it stops raining im going to pull the hub apart and take a look-see.

Originally posted by tylonalsnifnfool@May 2 2005, 07:21 PM
could be a tranny bearing, pilot bearing or some shit like that.
[post=494169]Quoted post[/post]​

i doubt that. its not concurrent with RPMs and such. my pilot bearing isnt even 6k old, clutch and tranny shift and stuff like they should.

to get to the bearing, i have to take the hub off. thats wicked easy. ball joint seperator, pop off the brake caliper and rotor (2 bolts) and drop the axle.

ill just have the shop do the presswork. i can pull the whole thing apart in less than an hour easy.

cost me 60 bucks in parts, 40 for the presswork, and the rest was my labor.

oh, the ratchets were free. craftsman baby ;)

Back