93 Octane vs. 87 in a B16A

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

confusatron

I ran my B16 on 87 octane for the first week or two after I did my swap. It ran great, and I could do pretty hellacious burnouts in 1st. A few days ago, I filled it up with 93, and now it's got better response in midrange and the topend, but my launches got weird. I've got the power to launch, but it feels like it wants to choke when I first take off. Just for like a half second. I used to have this problem with the old D15, and with the V6 on my camry. They didn't like 93 octane. On 87 there was no choking problem. I'm wondering if the B16 likes 93 or just regular. Anyone have any similar experience?

It's become extremely hard to do burnouts anymore now with this 93 octane. My launches are fine though, other than that, and acceleration is still great and it seems to be LOUDER than it was, though that could be my imagination I dunno.

I inflated my tires to 40 psi over the weekend, they were all low. I wonder if that affected my burnout ability, and not the octane change.

Yeah some places here sell 91 and there is one place that i goto only they sell 93 for there premium. if you can run anything under 93 your damn lucky

I have been wondering the same thing. I mean if i have access to 93 octane then should i fill up with it or continue using 91 like i have been for a few months now! I have been experiencing slight problems especially upon take off but will 93 fix this problem?

Originally posted by DravenVX@Sep 15 2005, 01:32 PM
I have been wondering the same thing. I mean if i have access to 93 octane then should i fill up with it or continue using 91 like i have been for a few months now! I have been experiencing slight problems especially upon take off but will 93 fix this problem?
[post=555089]Quoted post[/post]​

Were talkin a marginal area here, theres a buffer zone befor really good and really bad things are gonna happen. Im gonna have to imagine most of this is in your head and if the car is acting funny it has nothing to do with the % octain in your gas from one to the other. I would be looking for other problems.

With that said octain and how an engine runs can be a big part of the overall preformance/management of and engine, all i was saying is in the preticular sittuation i dont think that is the case.

Any car that requires premium will pull timing if anything BUT premium is put in the tank. So in essence, if you want to swap a B16 and use regular, you might as well save money and buy a b18b... because that's how the b16 will feel with regular.

In the del sol owner's manuel it says for the del sol VTEC that performance will lesser with 87 compared to the recommended 91 octane.

Originally posted by jimboburgess@Sep 15 2005, 03:08 PM
In the del sol owner's manuel it says for the del sol VTEC that performance will lesser with 87 compared to the recommended 91 octane.
[post=555135]Quoted post[/post]​

Exactly. But the car shouldint act funny and bog at all. The ECU will adjust with in its abilty as required. Kindea like retuning it for the lower octane.

the car ran perfect with the 87 octane i was originally running. It runs about the same with 93, but maybe with slightly better power. Like I said, mostly it's just louder. The performance difference is questionable.

Back