'93 si hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

k i may have the oppurtunity to buy a '93 si hatch shortly i want a nice fast little car but have a limited budget

what i really want to know is if i should go with an expensive gsr swap or keep the stock motor and boost it. it doesn't have to run 12's or smoke vipers i just like to drive a respectable car. i have a beater so this will be a weekend driver/racer

i'm planning on doing basic mods i.e. light wheels, azenis. sway bars, bushings, spings/struts, at least rotors and stainless lines, and i'll lighten the car some as well as intake and exhaust and a header if i go with the gsr i'm just thinking that i may be able to go faster cheaper boosting the stock motor. what would i need as far as electronics? building the motor to handle it? does anyone make a reasonably priced turbo kit for the motor? what kind of power would we be talking? should i consider another transmission?

thanks in advance :worthy:

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Aug 5 2003, 02:30 PM
do a once over on the motor and go for SOHC turbo. It will be very respectable.

greddy and apexi make turbo kits as well as drag i think. 2k-2500. the other option is a b16 swap which would be a direct bolt in for your car and that would be about 3k total after the motor and shipping, new clutch, water pump and timing belt. that is if you install it.

the gsr swap will give u a very respectable hatch as well. I say gsr swap.

I say swap in the GSR, wtih some bolt on's and in the near future you can save for a turbo kit and get even better results.

The sohc turbo isn't that bad of an idea either, karnash can give you his personnel opinion on that.

Mialn

I say go with GSR if the motor isn't in real good condition meaning, iif you compression test it and it doesnt' hit about 165, I wouldnt' suggest turboing it. I am going to compression test mine, and if it doesn't, I am going to go swap route instead of the turbo route because with a turbo, you know you're going to rip on it, and it probably won't last long if it is already really worn.

I have a 93 si btw.

thanks for the help guys i will compression test the motor if i get the car and we'll go from there. i'd think it is in decent shape as it only has 80,000 miles, new timing belt, water pump ect.

i have also thought of a b16, but i like the gsr better because of better power and power potential i just know if i do a motor swap i don't really want to turbo it. beyond what i have listed i don't really want to turn the car into a money pit (isn't that what all projects turn into?)

Back