94 Accord EX overheating problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

scottp11

The Seniorest Member....
Alright, my friend loaned me his 94 Accord EX, but told me that it over heats when the car is idling. When you start going, it goes back down to normal, but once you come to idle again, it goes right back up. Sometimes to the point where you have to turn the car off and let it cool.
I just finished replacing the thermostat, and it helped for like 5 minutes, but once I came to a light, it went right back up... I need help! This is my daily driver until my car gets out the shop. :shrug2:

Check if the so called coolant you have in the car is 100% coolant made for cooling purposes. In other words, buy premixed coolant instead of adding your own water. If its more water than coolant, it has the chance to over-heat more often. Once i flushed all my coolant out with new one, it stopped heating up.

I think ur fan relay is probly out. Most honda's from all that i've own, have that problem. Check to see if the fan comes on. ..if thats not the problem then u probly have to replace ur water pump. Hopefully there's no leaks in the cooling system but if the fan is not coming on than thats ur problem.

Originally posted by scottp11@Oct 15 2003, 09:11 PM
Thanx, I'll try that tomarrow. Can you think of anything else it could be?

If your idle is bad (Idle air motor behind the intake manifold) it can also cause it to over heat. If the idle fluctuates between 600-1200 while stopped. Just another idea, you probably dont have this problem.

Originally posted by dang civic@Oct 15 2003, 09:12 PM
I think ur fan relay is probly out. Most honda's from all that i've own, have that problem. Check to see if the fan comes on. ..if thats not the problem then u probly have to replace ur water pump. Hopefully there's no leaks in the cooling system but if the fan is not coming on than thats ur problem.

I definately agree. While ur flushing ur coolant tomorrow, observe for the fan to come on.

Naw, the idle is pretty consistant, and as the fan goes, I don't really notice it until I turn the engine off, and the fan is still running.

Also, how do you check to see if you need a new water pump?

Like I said, when the engine is above idle, the temp goes back down. Even in park, if I rev the engine, it goes down. Is that wierd?

Originally posted by scottp11@Oct 15 2003, 09:18 PM
Like I said, when the engine is above idle, the temp goes back down. Even in park, if I rev the engine, it goes down. Is that wierd?

I am pretty sure its your water pump. It has to go. WHY? because the water pump is driven by the timing belt, when at idle (800 RPM's normally), the water pump is not flowing enough to keep it cool. When at higher RPM's, it flows just enough to keep it cool.

Thanx, is there a way to check it to see if it's good or not. Also, do you got any idea how much one would be for a 94 Accord? Thanx again for all your help! :worthy:

Back