94 civic 4 door auto tranny

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hey yall this my first post and my first honda first off its a 94 civic 4 door with the little sohc v tec....with an auto tranny....it needs a bigger motor what kind of car can i buy that will have a motor and tranny that will fit right in? my buddy is telling that a b20 swap is real easy i told him thats BS and i want to do it right....what other year,other cars will be easy...my buddy owns a junk yard so i am just goin to go pick one out and drop it in....how hard is it to make it manual? i might just keep it auto...this car will not be on the strip just somthin to play around with...thanks for yalls help......i have almost no money to spend on this so it will be all stock parts i hav bout 500.00 right

:welcomeani: hi dude. wow.. the user name is quite a mouthful...well i am a sohc advocate so you might not like what i have to say but i think you should keep the d16z6...it has a lot of potential...for instance mine makes 400 hp and 380 ft/lbs tq with 7000 bucks. it would take a lot to get a b-series into the same hp range mine is in. let's also remember, it isn't hp that moves mass, it's tq. in other words yopu could have 200 hp and 110 tq and a little sohc with 125 hp and 120 tq would be pullin on you. it's all about tq. as for a swap, i discourage it...you have a good base motor. spent the time and money doing a manual swap...when you do go to turbo it you'll have a tranny that'll be able to handle the stress the engine will put on it. but that's just my opinion...:D

the d16z6 was ran out of oil and it misses in the 2nd cylinder it leaks real bad....i guess i could put another d 16 in it......if the d 16 is so good why does everyone tell me to swap in somthing "better"....dont forget i dont have much cash...i was looking for another stock motor to drop in that produces more power and Tourqe..... how hard is the manual swap to do not using any kits just all stock parts from a donor car??

The only swap that's going to drop right in and that you could maybe get for under $500 is another D16Z6. If you want to switch to a b-series motor, you'll need to spend around $2000-$3000, because you're going to need a b-series transmission; b and d-series trannys and engines don't bolt up to each other. You'll aslo need other stuff, like axles, transmission mounts, ecu, etc if you want to switch to a b-series.

A b-series swap by itself isn't all that hard, but like I said, look to spend significantly more than $500 for anything other than another D16. If you want a decent torque upgrade than look for a B18B (Integra LS) motor or a B20 like your buddy said. Either of those motors will bump up your torque and they won't cost as much as some of the higher performance b-series motors like B16s or the B18C (Integra GSR).

If you do go with a B18B or B20, I'd suggest a B16/B18C transmission because they're geared shorter for better acceleration.

i have the option of picking up an 90's integra or a 05 crv which one would be better? easier? what all would i need to make it work? i have been looking around on here and its hard th figure out becouse i am dont know much about hondas........i have read i need an new intake to use the crv motor but my buddy told me i could just change the oil pan i dunno which is right....if i put the crv motor and wires and coumputer in my 94 civic what do i do to hook up the gauges? will the axels on the crv work or can i use my old ones? the crv is auto...so i will just keep it that way so my girl can drive it too she cant drive manual..some one just stole her camaro a couple weeks ago.... what about tranny mounts and motor mounts for the crv motor????whats better/easier crv motor or the intgera motor?

dude, you're on a budget so do another d16z6...they are cheap and you'll have enough money for a turbo kit. if you do a b-series you'll be broke. go d16 and turbo it later and the guy that just spent 3,000 bucks on a gsr or something of that equivalent will be broke and sobbing cause you'll be kicking his ass up and down the street with your turbo sohc and he'll just be putting around slowly with no cash!

If you're talking about an 05 CR-V, then the motor isn't a B20, it's a K24, and it's completely different than the b-series or the d-series. You will need both the engine and the transmission, plus the ecu, and custom mounts and axles. The wiring will be a nightmare unless you get a custom-made swap harness, and you're going to have to cut into the Civic's floor pan to mount the transmission. There's no way you're going to get an 05 CR-V motor into your 94 Civic for $500, period. For a swap like that, you're going to be looking at more like a few thousand dollars to make it work.

As for the Integra motor, that would be a better choice, but like I said before, YOU'RE NOT GOING TO ACCOMPLISH IT FOR $500. You'll need not only the motor, but the transmission as well, and the ECU, and mounts, and axles. Plus, depending on what year Integra the swap motor is coming from, you might be looking at an OBD conversion as well. There's no way around the transmission problem; you will have to swap that out if you want to run an Integra motor. Like I said, this is going to cost you at least a grand, probably more like two grand.

Turbo Sol is completely correct; if your budget is $500 and you want to keep the transmission you have now, then your only real choice is another D16. Anything other than that and you're looking at a lot more money.

well put...this is why i love this site...people always have insight into problems and can almost always give good advise.

Back